Bayonetta 1 & 2 Coming To Switch | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Bayonetta 1 & 2 Coming To Switch

Bayonetta lover Sam Nason tells us why you should be extremely excited for the two Bayonetta games coming to Switch

At the Gaming Awards 2017, Bayonetta 3 was officially announced to be in development for the Nintendo Switch. Accompanying this was the news that, as well as this brand-new title, Bayonetta 1 and 2 were also making their way to the Nintendo Switch. On February 16th to be exact. Just like the previous Wii U port of Bayonetta, the original game will be included as a download code with Bayonetta 2, effectively bundling the two games together. If you’re a fan of hack and slashes, amazingly rewarding gameplay and stunning visuals, these games, debatably, set the bar for every other game of the genre.

In both games you play as the seductive Bayonetta, an ancient witch who uses demons from Inferno (Hell, basically) to kill the angels of Parodisio (Heaven, basically) while trying to find the secrets of her past. Both titles in typical beat ’em up fashion use a complex combo system and a variety of weapons, items and techniques to make the gameplay fresh, exciting and never repetitive.

The first Bayonetta received universal acclaim, praising the superb action, witty humour and excellent characterisation. The story of the first game, while all over the place and comically convoluted, is intriguing and enjoyable to watch unfold nonetheless, and certainly not forgettable. The characters you meet along the way deliver some great interaction and will only make the game that much more joyous as you go through it.

But the story is never centre-stage of what is some of the most stellar and satisfying beat ‘em up fun you will ever have. Combos can be strung along seamlessly and the lack of a block button (which, understandably, may seem a bit daunting for first time players) only enhances the speed of your encounters while providing a fair and satisfying challenge. The stand-out feature of the title is Witch Time, a power Bayonetta possesses when she narrowly avoids an enemy attack; time slows down, useful to get a few extra combos in before your foe starts attacking again. This is something you’ll want to get the hang of quickly but is so immensely fulfilling to do right and will have cheering when you manage to slow down a particularly tough enemy.

Bayonetta 2 offers more of the same, but even better. The game, which many feared would never see the light of day, is the product of a partnership between Nintendo and Platinum Games, explaining why the game was exclusive to the Wii U and why Bayonetta 3 will be exclusive to the Switch. Again, the game was met with momentous praise with the title featuring even more weapon customisation, tighter combat and better pacing.

One new feature introduced in the sequel was the co-operative mode Tag Climax, allowing players to play with friends, strangers online or computer-controlled partners to fight the angelic and demonic hordes that come upon you. Boasting multiple playable characters and multiplayer fun, the mode allows players to develop their combo abilities and finally destroy angels and demons with another person, something lacking from the first game.

It should be quite clear then, that you really do not want to pass up on these two games. Bayonetta 2 is one of my all-time favourite games and the series itself is some of the most stylish fun you will ever have. The Switch version will only seek to improve as the game will now be playable on the go in handheld mode, and I imagine the myriad of Nintendo-themed costumes and items in the Wii U port of the original Bayonetta will be maintained in the Switch one too.

In terms of brand new content not much has been announced, though Polygon reported on a curiously deleted blog post from Platinum Games themselves that promised local wireless co-op play, amiibo support and video capture support; whether such features are still planned has yet to be seen. Regardless, these games will be a day one purchase for me, and should definitely be for you too.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 will launch for Nintendo Switch simultaneously on February 16th 2018.

Source -

First Year English and Drama student, conquering one game at a time in between! (@samjnason)

NerdMuch, GoNintendo and YouTube