Top Indies of 2017 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top Indies of 2017

As their 'Games of the Year' list mainly focused on big titles, Redbrick Gaming have taken the time to shine a spotlight on some of their favourite indies, which are equally deserving of a round of applause

The saying 'good things come in small packages' could not be a more appropriate way to describe the many fabulous indie games made by small developers in 2017.

indies

Little Nightmares is an indie game that will leave you with some big night terrors. As a tiny child called Six, the player journeys through the gloomy world of The Maw to escape the grotesque monsters within. With no weapons, the player is forced to engage in a deadly game of hide and seek. Easier said than done when your opponent has 2 metre long arms and bat-like hearing.

Little Nightmares truly excels in its world-building, incorporating many subtle yet horrific details into the background (such as wriggling meat sacks containing children). When combined with its inventive puzzle-solving gameplay, Little Nightmares easily deserves a spot on this list and in your games library- if you dare.   

Emma Kent

indies

Thimbleweed Park is a point-and-click adventure game for console and PC, designed by Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, two former Lucasarts employees responsible for many classic adventure games like Manic Mansion and the Monkey Island series. It was announced on Kickstarter in 2014, and was able to gain almost double its intended funding target.

Thimbleweed Park has been able to scratch the decades-long itch for a new adventure game. As a throwback to classic pointing-and-clicking, with an original verb interaction system and added features (a casual mode and hint line), Thimbleweed Park helps newer players get involved in a genre that’s fairly daunting for the uninitiated.

Thimbleweed Park is my GOTY because it brings of everything that made adventure gaming so wonderful whilst avoiding the accessibility pitfalls they’ve suffered in the past. Oh, and you can choose which way around you prefer the toilet paper.

James Law

Indies

Snake Pass is a beautiful game, with bright graphics which look excellent on any screen, from your 4K TV, to the small screen of your Switch. As a fun physics puzzler, the game entraps you within its vivid environment, slithering around as a snake, climbing bamboo and collecting glowing orbs. You'll lose hours in the game, and it'll only feel like minutes.

Roshni Patel

indies

Pyre is an unusual fusion of a role playing game with a sports game style combat. Developed by Supergiant, Pyre has the same gorgeous visuals of its predecessors Transistor and Bastion, and mixes a complex plot with whimsical sport like mini games to create an entertaining and narratively brilliant game.

Olivia Boyce

1st January 2018 at 9:00 am

Tarsier Studio, Terrible Toybox, Sumo Digital and Supergiant