NUS launch anti-politicians campaign | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

NUS launch anti-politicians campaign

Poster vans, billboards and newspaper adverts will feature in the campaign, which denotes MPs - predominately Liberal Democrat - as liars.

The president of the National Union of Students (NUS), Toni Pearce has unveiled a new campaign to get students to vote out prospective politicians in their area who voted in favour for increased tuition fees.

Launched on the 16th April, the ‘Liar Liar’ campaign has attempted to re-politicise students as part of their social media campaign - #generationvote. With the government spending £530,000 on a last-minute drive to entice students to put their name on the electoral register, and many students not registered to vote in their halls of residence, this campaign is aimed at vivifying students about why they should vote, and to remind them of the coalition’s broken promises.

The campaign emphasises that back in 2010, all 57 elected Liberal Democrat MPs signed the pledge to vote against tuition fee increases. However, 28 Liberal Democrat MPs broke their pledge, and 8 abstained from voting.

Pierce: 'Together we can show politicians we expect more from them and are fed up of the cycle of broken promises.'
The campaign also seeks to add students to an email list, where they will ‘promise’ to cast their vote on the 7th May; not to vote for a ‘Liar Liar’ prospective candidate if they are standing in their constituency; and to work with the NUS to hold politicians to their word after May 7.

As part of a mass email to NUS members, Toni Pearce believes: 'At this general election, let’s show politicians that they can’t lie and get away with it. And that after we vote on May 7, we expect them to keep their promises.'

She said: 'Together we can show politicians we expect more from them and are fed up of the cycle of broken promises. Because we don’t want to hear any more apologies.'

However, critics of the campaign have noted that the NUS campaign is too late to make a genuine impact on students, and that it could have done better in the first place.

The billboard being put up in London, Sheffield and Manchester

O'Brien: The NUS 'lambast the groups of students who actively take grassroots campaigning into their own hands, yet they don’t talk to real students and what they actually need.'
Rachel O’Brien, Community Action Officer said: 'Whilst the NUS is driving forward the importance of voting to the student population, the use of an email and social media campaign really does show how out-of-touch the NUS really is.

'Where has the NUS been in championing the rights for students and the need for free education? They lambast the groups of students who actively take grassroots campaigning into their own hands, yet they don’t talk to real students and what they actually need.'

She continued 'if you need any clearer example of the NUS failing to be the union it is meant to be, then look at how they pulled out of the annual Free Education demonstration in November last year.

'If you actually look at Steve McCabe, the [Labour] MP for Selly Oak, his record advocates the need for an increase in tuition fees way back in 2004 under a New Labour government.  The NUS are simply legitimising some MPs views of tuition fees and decrying others.'

The billboard campaign has been launched in London, Sheffield and Manchester, stating 'Broken promises leave a permanent mark...' below two fists, each blemished with 'Liar', and including the Liberal Democrat logo.

final year political science student