Guild of Students Named 'Union of the Year' By NUS | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Guild of Students Named ‘Union of the Year’ By NUS

Birmingham beat off competition from Leeds, Worcester, and London

The University of Birmingham’s Guild of Students was recently named Union of the Year by the NUS, during their annual award ceremony.

The 2018 NUS awards were held at the Birmingham NEC on July 4th.

According to the NUS website, they had received hundreds of nominations for the categories which ranged from SU Officer Team of the Year to Green Impact Accreditations, and Representation and Campaigning Award.

‘It’s great to see that we have been recognised nationally for what we and our students do.'

Ellie Keiller, President of the Guild of Students, said that the award was for the students at the university who work with the Guild to enable ‘real change through student representation and campaigns, as well as running over 300 student groups and societies and keeping us entertained with an exciting calendar of performances and events.’

‘You are the reason your students’ union is the best in the country,’ Keiller said.

Keiller also added: ‘It’s great to see that we have been recognised nationally for what we and our students do.

'We will, of course, aim to maintain and exceed our current success for and with future students. It’s a really brilliant close to my term in office as President, and it’s certainly an exciting time to be a student at Birmingham.’

Keiller will hand over the role of President to Reece Roberts for the 2018-2019 academic year, after two years in the role.

In competition with the Guild was Worcester Students’ Union, Leeds City College Student Union, and University of West London Students’ Union.

'It’s certainly an exciting time to be a student at Birmingham.’

The NUS has been celebrating the work done by Students’ Unions for the past nine years and the awards are judged by a panel made up of experienced individuals from the education section and beyond.

Awards were available to all Student Unions across Further Education and Higher Education.

11th July 2018 at 7:30 am

Joseph Timan