Tech News: Huawei Unveils its Samsung killer? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Tech News: Huawei Unveils its Samsung killer?

The Shenzhen-based tech firm is making serious moves for the wallets of Western consumers, with the London reveal of a new flagship device on April 6th.

Just hours ago, Chinese commercial and consumer telecoms giant Huawei unveiled their latest suite of flagship devices: the P9 and P9 Plus.

'Huawei are...the third biggest mobile phone vendor in the world, just behind Apple and Samsung in terms of market share...'
If you're wondering who Huawei are, they're the third biggest mobile phone vendor in the world, just behind Apple and Samsung in terms of market share. Though successfully penetrating Western markets as a hardware contractor producing Google's Nexus devices, and one of the highest regarded producers of Android Wear smartwatches, Huawei's own-brand devices have not yet successfully taken off here in the UK, nor in other areas of Western Europe. Today, however, with the launch of the P9 range, that could be about to change.

The P9 is everything you'd expect in a premium brand flagship. Available in no less than six different colour variants with a 6.95mm thick full aluminium body, Corning Gorilla Glass 4, and running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 , the device stands alongside market leaders with regards to software functionality and hardware quality.

'...trying to edge ahead of the competition, however, with the phone's camera technology, partnering with Leica...'
Huawei are trying to edge ahead of the competition, however, with the phone's camera technology, partnering with Leica to produce a dual-lens, twin 12MP system which they say will 'improve and bring smartphone photography to new levels'. The software supporting the phone's camera function seems to back up this promise, allowing users to change the colour and brightness of pictures, take advantage of Leica's signature wide aperture mode, and adjust the aperture and focal point even after an image has been captured.

In two SKUs, much like Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the Huawei P9 hosts their octa-core chipset reportedly consisting of both 2.5GHz and 1.8 GHz quad core processors, as well as an i5 co-processor for huge power and adaptability in its performance. This is paired with 3GB worth of RAM and 32GB of storage in the standard P9, where its bigger brother the P9 Plus boasts 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage (or even more in Asia). A full overview of the P9's specifications are available from GSMArena.

Perhaps even more interesting and exciting than the device itself, however, is Huawei's evident desire to capture the Western market: this device revealed in London, and endorsed by the UK's own Henry Cavill (Batman vs Superman), and Hollywood actress Scarlett Johannson.

The company is clearly comfortable in its captivation of the domestic Chinese market, and it perhaps wouldn't be far fetched to consider this particular set-up for a product launch as an earnest move for similar consumer adoption in the West. Whether it's enough to topple the current smartphone market oligopoly of Apple and Samsung is still to be told, but Huawei's stars are aligned in terms of the hardware, functionality, marketing, and investment backing it up. The mobile market could undergo some very interesting changes when the P9 and P9 Plus launch on April 16th.

For more information on the Huawei P9 and P9 Plus, see the Huawei consumer website

Redbrick's Digital Editor 2015-16. Founder of Redbrick Gaming. Computer Science student. (@masoncusack)

Huawei