The Being Human Cast Reunite at MCM London Comic Con | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Being Human Cast Reunite at MCM London Comic Con

A werewolf, a ghost and a vampire walk into a house… and we’re still talking about it seven years later. The Being Human cast get back together to answer fans’ questions.

Aidan Turner, Russell Tovey, and Lenora Crichlow reunited for a panel at MCM London Comic Con this Saturday to talk karaoke, supernatural creatures, and what made Being Human so special.

The three actors exited the series before its end in 2013, allowing a second incarnation of the ghost, werewolf and vampire trio to take over the series. However, as was clear from the excitable crowd in the Gold Theatre of the MCM Expo this Saturday that the show and its original cast still hold a special place in fans’ hearts.

During the panel, the cast reminisced about their first impressions of the series, and what they think made the series so popular.

Each character was very much a human character and that their supernatural tendencies were all parallels towards something a bit more human, like addiction, or anger issues...
Lenora Crichlow, who played a ghost called Annie in the series said:

“Once I read the scripts I could see how each character was very much a human character and that their supernatural tendencies were all parallels towards something a bit more human, like addiction, or…anger issues…”

Russel Tovey, who played a troubled werewolf called George in the series added: “Toby Whitehouse’s writing was so deep and nuanced, and the characters were so beautiful and these relationships were so emotional and heartfelt and honest and that’s what got you into it.”

Left to Right: Aidan Turner, Lenora Crichlow and Russell Tovey

Aidan Turner played brooding vampire Mitchell during the first three seasons of Being Human, and is now well-known for his roles in Poldark and The Hobbit.

Talking about why the show lasted as long as it did, Turner said: “Even reflecting on it now, it’s such a mismatch of genres. It’s not quite fantasy or supernatural, it’s not quite a comedy or a drama, and maybe that [is] its mass appeal, maybe that’s why it stuck around for so long, and why we’re talking to people here who want to listen to what we have to say about the show. It is quite a surprise that it’s managed to have the tenacity that it has… it’s a real testament to its writing.”

In the time since their last episode together aired, the trio don’t seem to have lost their chemistry, and were joking throughout the panel. They even confessed that they had reunited for karaoke recently.

“A few weeks ago…we all went [to do] karaoke,” said Tovey, “John Legend, I discovered, I’m pretty good at.”

When asked by a fan who the actors would haunt if they were ghosts, whilst Crichlow and Tovey gave sensible or touching answers, Turner took a different route, saying:

“Listen to these guys, I’d just randomly creep on people in Oxford Street.”

A special would be kind of fun, wouldn’t it? A Christmas special in hell...
Although all three of the actors’ characters were left walking towards the afterlife at the end of the series, this doesn’t necessarily mean the characters couldn’t come back if they decided to return the original trio to our screens. After all, when it comes to the supernatural, death never seems quite final. But would the actors return? Tovey and Crichlow wouldn’t rule it out.

“A special would be kind of fun, wouldn’t it? A Christmas special in hell,” said Tovey, prompting the crowd to cheer loudly.

Lenora Crichlow also seemed interested in the idea of a reunion: “Yeah, why not?”

It might not be likely, but it hasn’t been ruled out either – and in fandom, that’s enough for us to hope.

Biochemistry student and blogger. Particularly interested in science and technology, gaming and TV. (@elliempatten)

31st May 2016 at 10:45 am

3rd June 2016 at 2:12 pm

The SCI-FI Christian, The Hollywood News and Ellie Patten