Industry Spotlight: Carillion PLC | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Industry Spotlight: Carillion PLC

Editor Matt Moody sat down with the Community Regeneration manager for the new library, Neil Rudge, to discuss Carillion and careers in the construction industry.

If you’ve been anywhere near campus in the past few months, you’ll have noticed there’s more than a little building work going on. From the new sports centre to the redeveloped student hub in the Aston Webb, the university’s investment in reinvigorating campus is worth a staggering £500 million over a five year period.

All of this investment in the future has made the construction industry an attractive prospect for graduates, particularly in Birmingham. At the forefront of the industry and in charge of the jewel in the university developments’ crown - the £45 million new library at the heart of campus – support services and construction company Carillion is a top destination for graduates looking to enter an industry going from strength to strength. We had a chat with Neil Rudge, the Community Regeneration Manager for the new university library, to find out a bit more about Carillion, and what skills and experience they’re looking for in new graduates.

'The university’s investment in reinvigorating campus is worth a staggering £500 million...'

With headquarters just down the road in Wolverhampton, multi-national company Carillion is responsible for many internationally renowned projects like London’s Tate Modern, as well as huge infrastructure works like the M6 Toll and the Channel Tunnel rail link. “There are a number of projects we are particularly proud of, including from a local level the Library of Birmingham and of course the great progress we are making on the university’s new library. Carillion places huge emphasis on how we complete our projects  with particular focus on working with the local community and providing jobs, training and apprenticeship opportunities. We’re using this approach at the university and achieved a Considerate Constructors’ Award this year which recognises the good work we’re doing.”

Carillion is no stranger to working in Birmingham, having worked on Star City, Brindley Place and Aston University and is continuing to contribute to the city centre’s regeneration plan. “Currently we’re working on the Paradise redevelopment - the area around the old central library - which is key to the plan for the development of Birmingham as a whole. We work closely with Birmingham City Council to make sure we maximise our results on a social level.”

'Carillion is responsible for many internationally renowned projects like London’s Tate Modern, as well as huge infrastructure works like the M6 Toll and the Channel Tunnel rail link...'

So what’s it actually like to work for Carillion, and why should graduates be getting ready to apply later this month? “I think what sets us apart as a company is our ambition. If you’ve got the drive, we’ve got the resources and support network to help you succeed, whichever direction you’d like to take your career in.” As well as construction roles, graduates are required across the support functions too such as HR and finance. At Carillion, attitude is key. “A huge variety of people work here and the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our people help us to think differently. We work hard  to turn our ideas and  experience into better solutions and service for our customers.”

If you want to work for a company that’s serious about doing ambitious work that benefits communities all over the world, Carillion is a great place to start.

For more details on the Carillion graduate scheme visit carillionplc.com/careers

Redbrick Editor-in-chief 2015-16 , music nerd and occasional/former history student (@mattmoody17)