iZombie: Season 4 Bites Back | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

iZombie: Season 4 Bites Back

As the zombified comedy-drama returns for a fourth season, TV Critic Phoebe Hughes-Broughton reviews a great premiere, if a little disappointing standalone episode of iZombie

This March, iZombie is back and as brain-hungry as ever. The premiere episode of the fourth season released on Netflix on February 27th, with just as much humour and mystery as we've come to expect from this show.

For those new to it, the show has a Zombieland meets Pushing Daisies vibe
For those new to it, the show has a Zombieland meets Pushing Daisies vibe, with the protagonist Liv being turned into a zombie at the beginning of the first series and discovering that when she eats the brains of a human she gets to experience their memories. Throughout the show she uses this to solve homicides with Detective Babineaux and medical examiner Ravi.

Season four opens a few months after the culmination of the previous series, in a newly walled-off and zombie-run Seattle. The first episode primarily revolves around the murder of a zombie-hating Seahawks fan, found dead in the grinder of the brain factory where he works. Having Liv eat the brains of a zombie-hater makes for an interesting dynamic throughout the show, and plenty of humour as she is the most outwardly-appearing zombie around and yet she keeps professing to hate them. The other main aspect of the victim's personality, his Seahawks obsession, begins to wear thin throughout the episode though – besides the plot point that he could have been killed by a fan of a rival team, the repetitive joke of how extreme Liv's fandom for the team has become is a little tired by the end.

By this point in the show, Liv and her crime solving barely even seem like the main plot point anymore
By this point in the show, though, Liv and her crime solving barely even seem like the main plot point anymore. They've taken a backseat to side stories of other characters, and the perhaps more interesting discussion of how a dystopian zombie society would work. This episode balances the plotlines of Major's zombie youth outreach programme, Ravi's continued vaccine experiments and their interesting side effects, while Blaine is still talking to and feeding his father in the bottom of a well. There’s also plenty of set-up for what will presumably become more important plotlines later on in the series, like Filmore Graves' no-nonsense attitude to zombies infecting humans – the punishment for which is a bizarre take on a guillotine.

It's a great start to what promises to be a good season
Most of these are handled well, but the main storyline of the crime feels like it's wrapped up too quickly and neatly, and Ravi's work seems to serve as little more than build-up to a punchline that doesn't quite land. Personally, I feel this storyline should be delved into deeper if we are to find it interesting, as questions like if he is the only one working on a cure for the zombie virus, or if anyone would even take the cure if he completes it, are never quite answered in the show.

All in all, it's a great start to what promises to be a good season, but as a standalone episode this definitely isn't the best the show has ever put out.

New episodes of iZombie are released every Tuesday on Netflix.

Aspiring author. (@PhoebePhairy)

The CW and TV Promos