LG Announces First Modular Phone | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

LG Announces First Modular Phone

LG's new release will allow its users to instantly upgrade and add extra features. Roshni Patel reports.

Every February, journalists, manufacturers and purchase managers flock to the annual Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. All mobile phone and relevant technology manufacturers come here to showcase their latest products and developments. Anything from phones to wearables are promoted, and these days even virtual reality headsets grace the floors at MWC.

8503643328_f8e75ca0b1_k

MWC in Barcelona

At the LG booth there was a lot more on offer than usual, because this year, LG has broken new ground. They announced their new G5 android, which is the world's first fully modular phone that allows users to swap out parts of the phone. This will allow you to easily upgrade your handset or to use specific tools that aren’t originally built in. LG was already gaining a lot of interest for the concept alone, but they also promoted their first two interchangeable modules, which the company have named the ‘Friends’ modules.

'LG was already gaining a lot of interest for the concept alone, but they also promoted their first two interchangeable modules...'
The first of these modules was designed by audio specialists Bang and Olufsen, who have made a module that increases the phone’s audio quality by swapping it from a digital to an analogue converter. This will enable the phone to play sounds at a higher resolution, which means music should be much clearer when heard through good quality headphones or speakers.

The other module on display, designed by LG themselves, was a clip-on module which added manual camera controls, such as a zoom wheel and an external camera button, as well as increasing the phone's battery life. LG’s modular technology has been made to be easy to design for, with the hopes that more modules will be designed by third-party developers. They are also predicting that in time the ‘Friends’ brand will eventually extend to more than just G5 phones, but to other smart, internet connected devices.

Other features that have been redesigned for the G5 include improvements to the battery-sucking backlight, which has now been replaced with LG’s new ‘Always On’ mode. It works by partially lighting the screen while the phone is locked, which allows you to always see the time and any important notifications, while using very little battery. LG hopes this will help increase the battery life of your handset and the time you can go between charging.

'the second camera features a 135 degree field of view, which is perfect for landscapes or those large group shots...'
Also new for the G5 are the 2 rear cameras, which are positioned in different fields of view so you can take shots from varying perspectives. The first camera is just like what is currently on the back of every LG G4. However, the second camera features a 135 degree field of view, which is perfect for landscapes or those large group shots. With the additional ability to merge the images captured by the two cameras, you can look forward to even better quality photos as well.

Already winning the Global Mobile Awards ‘best new mobile device’, it's expected to be the most popular android phone of 2016, due to its innovative design and easily interchangeable parts. It has been revealed fairly early, being showcased at this year's MWC, ahead of its April release. As LG hopes that this year, the G5 will get the jump on both Samsung and HTC’s new flagship phones, the S7 and HTC One M10.

Redbrick Gaming Editor, who also occasionally dabbles in the dark arts of other sections. Graduating July 2018 (@roshofalltrades)

LG Electronics and Mozilla in Europe