A First Look at the Erdem X Nars Collection | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

A First Look at the Erdem X Nars Collection

Life&Style writer Yasmine Kennedy takes a look at Erdem Moralioglu's new collection by Nars

At Autumn/Winter London Fashion Week Erdem revealed their ‘Strange Flowers’ makeup collection with Nars cosmetics. The 13 piece collection includes products for the eyes, cheeks and lips including both a lip and eye palette, bold lipsticks and individual blushes. Interestingly the lip palette consists of five shades of lip powders, a new and innovative product. The packaging is a twist on Nars’ original packaging with all products being a white matte finish instead of the usual black. The packaging is decorated with floral patterns as an ode to Erdem’s incredibly beautiful floral gowns we see on the catwalk.

Makeup artist for the show, Val Garland, uses the products that create a look entirely inspired by Erdem Moralioglu’s mother. The products are also inspired by beauty techniques used in earlier Erdem shows where textures that are often associated with one part of the face are unexpectedly used elsewhere. The collection could not be more of a perfect spring launch with its combination of floral inspiration and array of some muted and some bold colours. The products can work together to create the ultimate English Rose makeup look.

All six lipsticks have floral names, for example Wildflower and Moon Orchid. The formula is sheer in pigmentation but the combination of the Lip Powder Poison Palette has a high pigment which will achieve velvety bold lips. The pinks, reds and berry shades of the lip products are quite a contrast to the Night Garden Palette which includes a yellow and deep blue shade. A mixture of shimmer and matte shades creates a versatile and useful palette that will help to create a runway-ready eye look. No spring makeup collection would be complete without something pink and shimmery, such as the Multi Use Highlighting Pencil. The creamy textured product illuminates the skin in a format which can ensure precision in every application.

It is no question why Erdem Moralioglu would create a makeup line after years of envious beauty looks on the catwalk. Of course the collection did not disappoint and its arrival is very much anticipated. The products are available for purchase from Selfridges on 15th April and everywhere else in the UK on 1st May.