Best Dressed: Cannes 2017 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Best Dressed: Cannes 2017

Life&Style editor Zoe Screti takes a look at the best dressed celebrities at the Cannes film festival 2017

Winnie Harlow
Winnie Harlow channelled her inner Disney princess, opting for a stunning blue Zuhair Murad dress. The deep sapphire blue dress which features a plunging yet angular bust and a split which allowed Harlow to show a flash of leg, glistened in the French sunlight and made her look like the belle of the ball. To balance the look, Harlow teamed the dress with sleek yet understated hair and muted makeup, allowing the dress to do all of the talking.

cannes

Elle Fanning
Also channelling her inner princess, Elle Fanning opted for Vivienne Westwood’s ‘unicorn’ dress, an elegant white ballgown which featured flashes of black and magenta doodle-esque designs in the train. The dress featured an exaggerated hip which made Fanning’s tiny waist look even smaller. The contradiction between purity and punk married well here to produce a design which was classy yet playful and somewhat whimsical. Fanning paired the dress with a chic ballerina bun and a classic makeup pairing of winged eyeliner, dewy skin and a deep blush lip.

Naomie Harris
Pink is big news this season and Harris wore a classy but playful design by pairing various pink hues with sherbet shades in a multi coloured, floor length Gucci tulle dress which reflected the sunny playfulness of Cannes. Her dress also featured a ruffled waist band, drawing on another of this season’s key trends whilst simultaneously creating definition between the bust and skirt. Mirroring the flowing skirt of the dress, Harris opted for sleek, wavy hair in a deep side parting and kept her makeup simple and muted, opting for blush tones which complemented her dress.

Susan Sarandon
Proving that age is just a number, Susan Sarandon opted for a plunging off the shoulder velvet gown which featured a deep thigh split. The deep, green velvet dress reflected the glamourous tradition which runs at the core of Cannes and was reminiscent of the golden age of Hollywood. The nipped in waist and trailing skirt flattered Sarandon’s fantastic figure. The only downside of Sarandon’s outfit were the sunglasses she wore for the entirety of the red carpet. They were utterly fabulous but not something which particularly suited such a glamorous gown.

Fan Bingbing
Simple yet stunning, Fan Bingbing’s outfit was one to remember. Her long, flowing, pale periwinkle gown had an ethereal quality. Featuring no embellishment, the dress was the embodiment of “less is more”. Despite the gown’s length, it looked light and airy, as though Bingbing were floating. The stunning dress was paired with a chic, glossy bob, pearl drop earrings and the classic makeup pairing of winged eyeliner and a deep pink lip.

Masters student studying Early Modern History. Lover of all things rockabilly/vintage. Life & Style Editor (@zoescretimusic)

20th May 2017 at 6:24 am

Rex Features, Dominique Charriau, James Gourley, Venturelli and Elle UK