Grammy Awards 2018: The Looks You Need to See | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Grammy Awards 2018: The Looks You Need to See

Life&Style writer Josie Hart gives her opinion on the must-see looks from this year's Grammy Awards

The Grammy’s is supposed to come second to the Met Gala as a major night of fashion with all eyes on what the biggest names will be wearing. The Grammy’s red carpet has brought us looks as iconic as Rihanna’s Giambattista Valli huge pink princess gown, Jennifer Lopez’ (very) low cut jungle printed Versace dress and even Pharrell’s questionably tall hat that made for some classic memes. However, many have called this year’s display of looks a little disappointing. Perhaps to keep focus on the evening itself and politically imbued messages, many stars chose not to make as risky or avant-garde choices as they possibly could have done. Some big names like Rihanna and Beyoncé didn’t even walk the red carpet (although they were bound to get enough camera time to show off their looks anyway). Nonetheless, amongst those that did exhibit their red carpet-ready outfits, there were definitely some stand out displays:

Anna Kendrick looked ready for business in Balmain and La Perla.

Sam Smith was like a rare green emerald bringing us a surprising pop of colour in this Cerruti 1881 suit.

If you’ve got a formal event coming up, Lana Del Ray’s beautiful elegant Gucci dress gives inspiration for days.

Janelle Monae proved that women look great in a bow tie in Dolce and Gabbana.

Lady Gaga showed her support for the ‘Time’s Up’ movement by wearing a black dress and a white rose but in true Lady Gaga fashion it was far removed from just any LBD.

Hailee Steinfeld gave off some serious 80s vibes with bright blue eyeshadow but kept it simple with her dress letting those Alexandre Vauthier boots steal the show.

Inside the show, Beyonce needed those sunglasses to shade her from Blue Ivy’s sass as well as to avoid being blinded by those diamond earrings.

Angela Weiss, Steve Granitz, INSTARimages, Jamie McCarthy, Rex Shutterstock, Christopher Pulk, Kevin Mazur, Getty, Kevin Mazur and ORSVP