Met Gala Best Dressed | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Met Gala Best Dressed

Life&Style's Madeline McInnis shares her top looks from this year's Met Gala

The Met Gala is one of those cultural events that whether you love it or hate it, you’re going to be hearing about it for weeks. This year’s theme, ‘Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination’ is being cited as the most controversial theme yet. For the best dressed, I had to narrow it down because of the varied takes on the ball this year. For this list, I’ve selected the outfits that I think do the theme in the most creative and tasteful way, while still pulling off a stunning look. I have a particular love for the mixing of history with present and mixing high art and low art, and this is reflective in my choices.

The winner of the night for me was Blake Lively by far. This is one of those iconic looks that I think we will look back on fifty years from now and still talk about. This may have been the Marilyn-Monroe-red-dress of our generation. She looked so classy and elegant, while still fitting the theme with ease and creativity. And did you notice her bag? It’s got Reynolds and her family’s initials on it — the cutest thing ever!

This is one of those iconic looks that I think we will look back on fifty years from now and still talk about

I’m usually not a huge Ariana Grande fan, but her dress this year was one of my favourites. I’m a huge Renaissance Art fan, so this is what I was really looking forward to in the theme, and Grande’s dress delivered. There’s little more iconic in the Catholic art world than Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel, and she was wearing the altarpiece. I do think her bow distracted from the beauty of the dress, but she knocked the theme out of the park and looked incredible.

Now, this one is an unpopular opinion: Kim Kardashian looked stunning. Though she could have done more with the theme, she certainly did more than her sisters by including the crosses on her dress. I also thought the gold was a good pick to show the opulence of the church and its iconography, like the crosses she was wearing. What really got me was the shape of the dress. It fit her perfectly and really highlighted the body that she’s known for!

Another celebrity whose dress stole the show was Cardi B. Cardi wasn’t afraid to show off her physique, baby bump and all. Though I can’t immediately place the Renaissance art picture that this reminds me of, the jewels in combination with the off-white gives off some seriously artistic vibes. Especially for her first Met Gala, Cardi definitely set herself up as one to watch in the next few years.

Nicki Minaj’s dress was overshadowed by her so-called ‘make up’ with Cardi, but she is still worth noting. Minaj allegedly was channelling the devil in her red and black gown, saying that she’s always the bad guy and she wanted to make sure the bad guy was in attendance. I don’t know about being the bad guy, but her bold statement with the dress and jewelry was one of the best of the night.

Minaj allegedly was channelling the devil in her red and black gown, saying that she’s always the bad guy and she wanted to make sure the bad guy was in attendance

At this point, I think we’ve all gotten pretty used to the fact that most of the males will show up to the gala in different coloured suits and maybe throw in a pin or tie that matches the theme. A notable (and tasteful!) exception this year was Chadwick Boseman, who blew me away with his all-white ensemble. Hopefully he will set a trend for future years that it’s not just the women who can be dressed up to the theme!

Another male who really wowed with the theme, though not as much as Boseman, was Darren Criss. His Byzantine inspired jacket showed a different side of Catholicism than most of the other participants, and it provided a breath of fresh air. He also stuck with a bowtie, which seems to be his signature stemming back to his Glee days. He was able to keep his unique style with his outfit, and that’s always a plus.

And, like any fashion list, it’s not complete without Zendaya. Her Joan of Arc themed dress was incredible and inspiring. Like Zendaya herself, Joan of Arc is an empowering symbol of feminine power and perseverance. Her tribute was unmistakable, even down to the hair! Especially with a year of Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spaceys, we need strong females with strong voices more than ever, and channeling this historic hero was both fitting of the theme and speaking to the time.

(@madmcin)

15th May 2018 at 9:00 am

Physicistjedi