How to Balance University and a Social Life | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How to Balance University and a Social Life

Life&Style writer Bethan Lewis explains how to balance university with an active social life

It’s the start of the academic year and getting back into studying again can be a bit of a shock to the system after almost three months off, so figuring out how to balance university with your social life can prove difficult. Therefore, we’ve rounded up the best ways to do this so that you’re not overwhelmed or struggling to fit everything you need to do into the day in your first term back.

The first thing that I still find hard is resisting temptations to go out clubbing when you know you’ve got a lot of work you need to do tomorrow, and you have a 9am lecture you need to get up for. Being tired will mean your day will be so much less productive because you’ll be run down and have no energy. Getting enough sleep maintains your immune system and improves your mood; your stress levels will go down and you’ll have more time to think clearly, make fewer mistakes in your work and therefore finish it faster and have time for your social life. In a city like Birmingham, where there’s always a party or event going on it’s hard to resist going out most nights. Figuring out how late you can stay out and still manage to get up at a reasonable time so half the day hasn’t already disappeared by the time you climb out of bed is important. Saying yes to every opportunity can leave you feeling like you’re drowning, knowing your limits and learning to say no can really help.

While I agree that university work is necessary, the social aspect is also a huge part that shouldn’t be ignored
While I agree that university work is necessary, the social aspect is also a huge part that shouldn’t be ignored. Constantly working and not giving yourself any time to relax can be tiring, taking a few breaks to go and eat lunch with friends or go for a walk with them gives your mind a release and is actually proven to help you work more efficiently. Socialising doesn’t have to mean alcohol and clubbing, joining societies and sports is a great way to take time out of working and meet new people. Priorities vary between different people of whether social aspects or university work is more important, so integrating studying with your social life is a good way to achieve both things at the same time. You can do this by joining study groups where you can be productive while still spending time with friends, then you’re all focused on working and can go and socialise together afterwards.

Being at university I find that procrastination is common, and the easiest way to avoid this is to work in the library instead of your room. This way there are less distractions, and less temptations, as everyone around you is working which keeps you focused. This means you can get all your work done quickly and then have time for other things without being stressed about the deadline that’s quickly approaching if you hadn’t finished your work.

If you stay on top of your work load then you’ll still have time to go out and socialise
An important part of keeping a good balance at university is staying organised. If you stay on top of your work load then you’ll still have time to go out and socialise. A good way to do this is by setting yourself small deadlines and targets to get your work finished so that you’re not doing everything last minute, therefore you’re not stressing out the night before your actual deadline, trying to squeeze everything in and subsequently not being able to relax or spend time with your friends. Making a schedule every week can help you stay on track, as well as this, setting the right targets and not overstretching yourself to achieve impossible goals will mean you don’t forget other things that are also important in order to maintain a healthy university and social life balance.

It can take time to figure out the right balance that works for you, so don’t panic if everything seems a little overwhelming. As cliché as it may sound, we do learn from our mistakes, and it’s very common to struggle with a new workload on top of a jam packed university social life so sometimes take the time to stop and just breathe when it all feels like it’s getting on top of you, and remind yourself that it will begin to get easier as the term goes on.

First year History student