Burberry - The Best of British | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Burberry – The Best of British

Life&Style writer Valerie Ogadi reviews the recent Burberry campaigns, Burberry Acoustic and focuses on why the fashion house is leading the way in digital marketing within the fashion arena.

Burberry campaigns have always been nothing short of captivating. In a patriotic effort to market the British brand, the popular fashion house makes a point of only using British models and music in each of their projects. Their recent campaigns, complete with the traditional trench coat and Burberry Acoustic once again successfully demonstrated how the company continues to check all the boxes for successful marketing strategies.

The SS15 advertisement, shot by Mario Testino, features models Naomi Campbell and Jourdan Dunn, as well as British musicians George Barnett and George Le Page. The vivid campaign captures numerous items through varied slow-motion and close up effects, with the infamous trench coat forever in the limelight. It has a warm and inviting nature as the models share moments of laughter, accompanied with stripped back vocals by James Bay in an acoustic setting.

15-naomi-campbell-jourdan-dunn-burberry.w529.h352.2x

Kate Moss and Cara Delevingne starred in the “My Burberry” Autumn 2014 campaign, also shot by Mario Testino, showcasing the new fragrance for women. The ad is more sensual and simplistic, only featuring the perfume and the iconic trench coat shot in black and white with powerful vocals from soul singer Joss Stone. A final close up of the perfume bottle in a royal gold colour closes the ad with a stunning background likening the perfume to rain.

Both campaigns strongly highlight the continuity of British icons taking the fashion arena by storm. This continuity depicted by the models resembles the strength and survival of Burberry which was founded in 1856. With Naomi and Kate featuring as legends to the industry, placed alongside up-and-coming stars Jourdan and Cara, the successful campaigns clearly show that their items appeal to a range of ages.

Another way Burberry has extended their influence is through Burberry Acoustic, a platform which celebrates emerging British musicians and artists, launched by chief creative director Christopher Bailey. The featured songs, some of which are used for campaign ads and performed live during runway shows, are all shot in an acoustic setting providing a warm ambience and an engaging backdrop for the brand. Burberry is leading the way in digital marketing within the fashion arena as Burberry Acoustic engages consumers by blending fashion with music through social media outlets such as YouTube. Paloma Faith’s “Only Love Can Hurt Like This”, The Feeling’s “Rose” and James Bay’s “Scars” have all specifically captured the public’s attention. Each unique song used during shows and campaigns encourages audiences to listen to the other talented artists featured on Burberry’s YouTube channel. This continuously seizes the attention of consumers due to the consecutive acoustic theme.

The necessity of digital marketing is becoming increasingly apparent by brands that want to compete in the endlessly changing world of technology. Burberry continues to stay true to its “British Brand” and maintains the vision of the trench coat and the acoustic sounds in the campaigns but does so in a way that captures the attention of consumers in the digital age.

Burberry_AcousticWritten By: Valerie Ogadi

Second year International Relations student. Avid photographer, traveller and language learner.