It's 'Sno' wonder we love Topshop! | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

It’s ‘Sno’ wonder we love Topshop!

Can Topshop do no wrong? Just as I realise the Brumski Val d’Isère trip is imminently looming and panic that, as a skiing-newbie, I still don’t know the difference bet...

Can Topshop do no wrong? Just as I realise the Brumski Val d'Isère trip is imminently looming and panic that, as a skiing-newbie, I still don't know the difference between salopettes and cellotape, Phillip Green comes to my rescue and Topshop launches the much-anticipated, affordable 'sno' range. 

We are now able to pop into our favourite high-street store and purchase all the necessary skiing essentials any girl could want, including ski trousers, jackets, gilets, thermals and ski leggings. Convenient is an understatement! A much-acclaimed designer from A/W London Fashion Week, Ashish, has ditched his trademark tartan fabric and sequin embellishments to collaborate with Topshop's 'sno' range and has designed a 9-piece collection which was also included in their flagship store last week.

His collection is predominantly animal-print. 'I love leopard print,' he explains, 'and I thought it would be really fun to do matchy-matchy leopard print ski-pants and puffer jackets' – as well as thermals and ski-coats. Ashish has also branched out to put the statement animal print on bum-bags and rucksacks; the predicted returning trends for Spring/Summer next year.

If, however, the snow-leopard look is too adventurous, or maybe you are looking to purchase some après-ski attire, Ashish has also designed desirable over-sized tees. The sweaters display tongue-in-cheek, Katharine Hamnett-esque slogans of 'Piste Off', 'Chalet Come With You' and 'Snow Bored'. They are cute, comfortable and, at an affordable £40-£60 price range, well affordable with the student loan.

Ski-wear is as much about being comfortable as it is about being chic and, credit to the brand, Topshop have not substituted practicality for fashion. All of their ski-coats and gilets include fleece lining and snow skirts to keep you snug on and off the slopes, as well as an unlimited amount of pockets to store all the snowy essentials – there is no excuse to be unprepared for a ski-session without your ski pass, lip balm and sunscreen. And for those of you who are not jetting off this winter, Topshop still offers some of the most stylish winter-wear available in the Bullring.

Their collection of luxurious knits, faux-fur coats and fuzzy warmers ear muffs, cossacks, and woolly turbans leaves nothing to be desired. So whilst Kate Moss and Middleton will, without a doubt, be sporting designer winter-wear this season, both on and off the slopes, we may well just about keep up.  Thank you, Topshop, for allowing me to make my skiing debut in style!

Written by Lucy Whife