Paris Fashion Week Round-Up | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Paris Fashion Week Round-Up

Life&Style writer Charlotte Gill runs through some of the highlights from Paris Fashion Week

The street style of PFW foreshadowed a little of what was to come in the shows - I guess those fashion people really know what they’re doing! Look forward to really blue denim, the sort which is reminiscent of the late 90s and early noughties (see Balmain for inspiration). Wave goodbye for the time being to your skinny jeans as flared jeans and other non-blood-flow-restricting styles are in. Outerwear was a big theme this time, which makes for a refreshing change. If, like me, you often find this the hardest part of an outfit - the finishing touch which risks ruining what is layered underneath - then the abundance of coat and jacket inspiration will be welcomed. And perhaps the most widespread trend of all, both on and off the catwalk: long. Long coats, long skirts, long dresses. There was a huge presence of to-the-ankle garments so come autumn and winter, your legs will be toasty warm. It is always difficult to narrow a fashion week down to a handful of shows but here are a few brands to check out to ensure you are ahead of the fashion game.

Chanel

As always, a fitting adjective for the Chanel show is ‘extra’. The theme was an enchanted forest and leaves and moss were scattered all around and (real) trees lined the runway -- the show took place indoors at Grand Palais but you would never know from the photos. Muted, autumnal tones dominated the collection and models had emphasised cheekbones and high, imperfect (bird nest-like) buns, giving them the look of pixies. Also present was Chanel’s signature tweed and quilted textures. Long coats often came complete with high collars and wide shoulders to pack a bigger punch. Shimmer was injected through the thread of tights or jackets and the autumnal tones were given a metallic upgrade with gold boots and shimmery skirts. The odd pop of colour was provided by pinks and soft oranges and there was even a shock of electric blue in places (a colour to look out for).

Rochas

Rochas’ collection rocked the runway, bringing the brand to my attention. Vogue perfectly describe it as ‘retro bourgeois’ because looks were sophisticated if a little bit ‘grandma’ (egged on by tweed, which was seen in many other brands’ collections and in street style). Long coats and dresses were often cinched in at the waist with a belt to given them more structure. There were double-breasted, typically ‘masculine’ fitting coats, coats with big lapels, and coats with short pointy collars. Snakeskin boots were featured throughout but avoided looking cheap or garish (even the yellow ones!) and instead were a highlight so think about going bold with your shoe choices as we move towards autumn and winter again.

Loewe

As if you did not already have enough outerwear inspiration, in comes Loewe with a range of different jackets and coats. The vibe was quite ‘cool girl who has thrown on many layers’ due to the flowing fabrics and frills and ties dangling down. The neat little ankle boots worn by most models pulled the looks together. Loewe showcased a range of stylish bags, from backpacks to handbags to cross-body bags, which had a rather equestrian feel to them and were seen on many fashion-week-goers. It felt like a lot was fit into one collection so check Loewe out to cover all bases.

Sarah Burton

Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen garnered praise for her beautiful collection with the theme of plants, bugs and birds of paradise. Dresses were often bright and patterned, as if the models had been wrapped in a butterfly wing itself. It was natural and earthy, with deep dark greens and floaty hems, but still felt sexy and strong, helped by the serious, slicked back hair, deep reds and pinks and the appearance of sharp blazers and the odd tailored piece. It was a collection of harmonious juxtaposition, if there is such a thing, showing that the theme is not all about being fey but can be daring too. This message was perhaps best conveyed by the badass show-stopper of a sheer dress, which had bugs sequinned from neck to hem. Whatever your look come autumn, there will be a place for Burton’s themes.

Third year Modern Languages student currently living in Paris. Interested in fashion, fitness, languages and travel. I love reading and listening to podcasts and would count 'trying out cool cafés' as a hobby.

pxhere