The Top 5 Trends of AW18 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Top 5 Trends of AW18

Life & Style Editor Tara Kergon gives us a run down the top trends from fashion month

Following the frenzy of fashion month, after a few days to digest the delicious collections on offer across the four cities of style, certain trends can be seen emerging. Across the board came a sense of fashion as bridge between fantasy and reality: we can escape into sheer fabrics and heady embellishment for evening, but it’s also time to update your daywear with leggings, checks and granddad knits - then mix the two together for an effortlessly put-together look. So if you want to be ahead of the trend for AW18, here’s what needs to be on your wish-list and in your wardrobe.

LUXE LEGGINGS

After the horror of the 00s leggings-so-thin-they’re-tights worn in place of trousers entirely un-ironically, there’s a deep aversion to leggings-as-pants within me. But AW18 has given me pause for second thought – as long as they’re luxe, structured as opposed to poured-on, and sturdy enough to leave a little something to the imagination, then perhaps they’re in for a renaissance. Pair a structured, pastel peplum top with a high-shine pastel pair a la Mary Katrantzou, or soak up the neo-1980s vibes of Tom Ford and either pick a zebra print, or play it cool with high-shine vinyl incarnations.

CHECKIN’ IT OUT

Following the now-omnipresent Prince of Wales check which stormed the catwalks, it seems tartan (and houndstooth, and anything check-related) is here to stay. From the continuation of the neat, heritage checks in classic grey (as in Versace’s homage to Westwood), to the oversized tartan check, to Burberry’s rainbow reinvention, the easiest way to look on trend is to deck yourself in checks. Overcoats featured heavily at Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs, but don’t stop at just one piece – take inspiration from Gabriela Hurst and The Row and opt for a tailored two-or-three-piece suit.

HIGH SHINE

Whether it’s a classic metallic, some holographic iridescence, or reflective vinyls, we’re shining on into AW18. The new must-have texture is patent: Tom Ford’s vinyls have me doubting my hard-and-fast ruling on leggings-as-pants, especially in classic black or burgundy, and that same glossy finish appeared on dark-hued trench coats at Fendi, Versace, Victoria Beckham (and more), while Mary Katrantzou showed patent pastels. But the easiest way into the trend are the metallics: think Jeremy Scott’s gold jeans for a quick denim update, Alexander Wang’s space-age silver accessories, or the array of rhinestones, sequins and embellishment on display throughout fashion month.

KNITWEAR

Knitwear for autumn/winter seems as groundbreaking as florals for spring (to paraphrase the iconic Miranda Priestly), but this perennial favourite is back and it’s not just about the piece – it’s also about what you pair it with. While blanket-style cover-ups were the name of the game at Roksanda, Erdem updated granddad knits for cocktail hour: flapper-esque sequins, rhinestones and brocade texturally clashed with cable knits or Fair Isle for a refreshing, cosy chic that’s perfect for fending off the chill. And at Calvin Klein, oversized jumpers came matched with balaclavas (which frankly I could have used during the recent snowstorms), but elevated with loose, light maxi skirts.

MILLENNIAL PINK

Two years after its emergence as colour of the year, millennial pink is decidedly not dead. In fact, it walked the catwalks in a variety of incarnations. From Jeremy Scott’s Jackie O-style suiting to Alexander Wang’s bouclé , pink is the shade to be seen in, and it’s not just the staple of the feminine anymore. Extra points if you’re willing to take a sartorial risk and pair it with red – just get your hues complementary rather than uber-clashing. Think Prabal Gurung’s reclamation of the shade and you’ve nailed it.

Wikimedia Commons