Looking Back at the Best Signs from the Women's Marches | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Looking Back at the Best Signs from the Women’s Marches

Weeks after the numerous human rights marches, Life&Style writer Jessica Rowley reminds us of some of her favourite signs from the events

No matter what your political standing is, it is seemingly difficult to ignore or overlook the Trump phenomenon consuming America and the rest of the world. In light of his controversial appointment to office, a few weeks ago crowds three times larger than those found at his inauguration ceremony took to the streets to protect legislation and policies regarding human rights – including women’s rights, racial equality, LGBTQ rights and religious freedom.

Trump’s heavily documented misogynistic and minority-threatening rhetoric sparked the Women’s March, and provided a platform from which we can confidently speak up for ourselves and others in a peaceful yet powerful way. The women’s marches will go down in U.S history as the largest single-day demonstration, and with almost 700 marches worldwide (1 on every continent, yes – even Antarctica!), they will forever act as a reminder that our rights and our voices matter, encouraging us all to be more united, more pro-active, and more engaged.

Though these marches may not be consuming the headlines anymore, it is nevertheless important to keep reminding ourselves of the hard-hitting messages that were given.

Here is a collection of some of my favourite signs from the day:

Article by Jessica Rowley

theodysseyonline, Buzzfeed, bia, iammikedanton and skaufman4050