Checks: The Emerging Trend for This Season | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Checks: The Emerging Trend for This Season

Aimee Cashmore gives us the lowdown on the trend of the season

Checked prints are a huge trend this Autumn/Winter, from bold statement blazers, to those staple grey checked trousers. Back in February, leading designers released their Autumn/Winter collections, showcasing the must-have trends for the upcoming season. Check was a recurring theme on the catwalk, as Stella McCartney channelled it into grungy oversized blazers, while Chloé reworked the pattern into classic coats, and British fashion designer Jenny Packham even crafted a formal gown from blue and orange tartan prints.

I for one, am a massive fan of check, as the print is so versatile, can be worn by anyone and instantly transforms a seemingly dull outfit into something a little more eye-catching. Below are some ideas on how to embrace the emerging trend on a budget.

Checked Trousers

Topshop, Checked Frill Ponte Trousers, £25

Everybody needs a pair of checked trousers in their wardrobe and these cropped, slightly wide leg trousers from Topshop are a perfect place to start. The ruffled hems on these trousers hark back to Spring/Summer style but also add a funky twist to a staple item. For a dressed-up option, they would look perfect with a pair of red ballet pumps, a white blouse and a black leather jacket. Alternatively, they would look great with a plain white t-shirt, a pair of white or black trainers and a denim jacket for a more chilled look. At only £25, these trousers are a bargain from Topshop, a place where a pair of trousers will usually set you back around £30-40. Additionally, as they are available in petite and tall sizes, everybody can wear check this season!

Checked Mini Skirt

Asos, Check Mini Skirt with Faux Pearl Trim, £30

Another way of embracing the emerging trend is with this gorgeous navy check mini skirt from Asos. The unusual pearl detail creates a vintage feel and feels very reminiscent of the skirts featured in the ultimate teen film, Clueless. This skirt would be ideal for office wear or even for an interview -teamed with black tights, a navy blouse and some Chelsea boots. Equally, for the ultimate winter outfit, wear it with a chunky white knit, a black aviator jacket and some over the knee boots.

Checked Shift Dress

PrettyLittleThing, Red Check Halter Neck Shit Dress, £18

For a way of embracing check on a night out, opt for this 60’s inspired red and black halter neck dress from PrettyLittleThing.com. The online retailer first hit the fashion scene three years ago and since then, it has showed no sign of slowing down. Over the past year its popularity has soared, with even the Kardashian sisters promoting their clothes. Personally, Pretty Little Thing is one of my favourite places to shop as they have such unusual and funky products that can’t be found on the high-street and at extremely reasonable prices. Another added bonus is that they offer huge discount for students, ranging from 10-40% off all products! My favourite thing about this dress is its shape; the shift style is extremely flattering but also very comfortable because it’s not hugging your figure.  At only £18, this dress is an absolute steal and with a pair of black heels and a clutch bag, it makes for a killer outfit. For a more retro look, team with a pair of black lace up boots and a leather jacket.

Checked Shoulder Bag

Zara, Contrasting Crossbody Bag, £29.99

If you are still not convinced on this trend or nervous about wearing the bold print, Zara have a subtler way of taking on check. This shoulder bag with contrasting check print and black and brown leather look material, is super stylish and useful! The bag comes with a removable handle and chain shoulder strap so it can be used as a crossbody bag or alternatively, as a purse. For a laid-back look, I would wear this bag with denim ripped jeans, an oversized jumper and some trainers. At £29.99, this small bag is quite expensive, but as you get two different uses out of it, it makes it worth the money. The size perhaps makes this bag impractical for everyday use but perfect for a day trip as it fits your phone, keys and money. Now there is no excuse to avoid the check pattern this season, so get buying!

2nd November 2017 at 9:00 am

Vogue

,

Topshop

,

Asos

,

PrettyLittleThing

and

Zara