Top Winter Coat Trends | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top Winter Coat Trends

Life&Style writer Ellie Silcock talks us through the coat trends of the season

As October comes around and the warm, fresh days of summer roll into the crisp but cozy autumn, there is nothing more important than finding a warm but stylish coat. Whether it’s a fur or trench coat, simply black or stylishly patterned, here are a few of the most in trend coats that you won’t be able to resist slipping into your online shopping baskets, in a heartbeat.

Parka

The parka coat has been a very popular style in the last few years. It is cozy and casual, and a perfect everyday coat to wear with jeans and ankle boots. This makes it great for the next time you're walking to uni at 9am, or trudging back to Selly from a late society meeting.

Men - New Look £49.99

This men’s parka is available in either a classic blue or an aptly autumnal orange.

Women - Boohoo £45

This parka has detachable fur, which is perfect to last you even into the spring months.

Trench

Another very on-trend look, perhaps for smarter occasions, is the trench coat. It’s great to pair with trousers, or to wear over a dress. Perfect for date nights or dinner with friends, there are so many different styles ranging from sweeping floor length, to a classy knee length number- (although you may need to layer up for winter)!

Men - asos £60

There are a multitude of trench coats on asos, yet this one has the added bonus of being water resistant, which is great for if you get caught in the rain!

Women - asos £55

This blush pink-coloured trench coat adds a girly touch to an outfit. However, it’s also available in black if you're after a more toned-down, chic look.

Fur

These teddy bear-styled coats are a newer trend for Autumn-Winter 2017, and although a slightly braver look, when worn over a little black dress or skirt these are sure to keep you warm. Although don't be alarmed if people keep wanting hugs from you- they're just too fluffy!

Women - Primark £25

This Primark one is great if you want a fashionable piece that won’t send you straight into your overdraft!

Duffle

Although more of a schoolgirl/schoolboy style of coat, paired with jeans or a skirt and tights these are perfect for daywear. Opt for a brighter colour if you're feeling brave, or go for a classic burgundy red, navy or black.

Men - asos £70

This is great for if you're trying to steer away from wearing all dark colours, and will likely be an investment to last for years to come.

Women - New look £39.99

Similarly, this duffle is available in multiple colours, for if you feel like you already own way too many black coats (which happens to us all!) it also has a hood, which is perfect for if you're caught in bad weather or if your ears get cold!

Pea Coat

Still popular from last year, the pea coat is the perfect all-rounder. Paired with a scarf for extra warmth, or layered over a knitted jumper, these coats are great for daytime and evenings alike.

Men - Topman £70

A coat that will go with pretty much anything, this Topman pea coat has added detail of the fur around the neck to make it that much more stylish (and warm!).

Women - H&M £34.99

This H&M piece is not only inexpensive but also really wearable, and available in baby pink too.

Shearling

Perhaps a slightly newer trend, shearling coats are dominating shop floors right now. The warm interior means they are super snuggly for winter, whilst the suede-like exterior means they suit loads of outfits. There are multiple styles all over the high street and online, so just go out and find one that suits your style!

Men - River Island £70

What looks like a normal coat is lined with warm fur, and is perfect for when you're looking for a black coat with a difference!

Women - Urban Outfitters £76

Although slightly more expensive, the corduroy mixed with the cream fur makes this urban Outfitters coat super unique.