How to Stay Busy on a Budget | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How to Stay Busy on a Budget

Josie Hart gives us some alternative hobbies you can take up, without hitting your overdraft

As work load builds up, it’s important to find something to do outside of studying hours to relax, let off some steam and enjoy yourself. If numerous society memberships aren’t in your student budget or they don’t fit around your timetable, then these low cost past times are perfect to turn to when you need a break.

Baking

You don’t need to buy any fancy, expensive ingredients. See what you can make out of what you’ve got to work with. Baking a cake can take around an hour so it’s perfect for a short break away from anything else you’re doing. What’s more, you end up with delicious snacks for the rest of the week without having to spend more money in the shops!

Start a Movie Club

A Netflix membership between a whole flat/house is very reasonable and is definitely worth it if you arrange weekly movie nights to get your money’s worth. You could make a bucket list of all the classics you want to cover and take turns to provide the snacks. If movies aren’t your thing, you could get gripped on a series together or even read a new book every month.

There’s plenty of things to visit across the city from fairs and exhibitions at the Custard Factory (starting from free admission) to grabbing a bite to eat at Digbeth Dining Club (£1 admission)

Learning a Language

Although it generally does require a bit more effort, learning a language on your own terms means you can spend as much or as little time on it as you want and the progress you want to make is up to you. You could spend a bit of time on this each day to develop the impressive and employable skill of being bilingual, or you could just memorise a few words to impress your friends with. Choosing a hobby like learning a language that allows you to develop a new skill is really beneficial and leaves you feeling accomplished and proud of your efforts.

Running

If, like me, you get out of breath running for the bus, building up a bit more stamina could be a worthwhile hobby for you. Running outside means you’re getting fresh air so it’s actually more beneficial than paying a gym membership to use the treadmills. Start off with short distances and build it up over the year to reap the satisfaction of seeing yourself progress and improve. Get yourself a running partner to maintain motivation and as a way to stay fit and catch up with your friends at the same time.

Explore Birmingham

Spending all your time on campus, it’s easy to forget how close we are to the heart of the UK’s second city. There’s plenty of things to visit across the city from fairs and exhibitions at the Custard Factory (starting from free admission) to grabbing a bite to eat at Digbeth Dining Club (£1 admission). Weekly outings will allow to cover everything Birmingham has to offer!

Happy hobbying!

1st November 2017 at 9:00 am

31st October 2017 at 9:02 pm

Lara_küçük_