Best Dressed at Cannes 2013 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Best Dressed at Cannes 2013

L&S writer Amy takes us through who she thinks wore the best outfits at Cannes

L&S writer Amy takes us through who she thinks wore the best outfits at Cannes.

Cannes has always been the playground of choice for the rich, famous and lavishly dressed. It’s an annual opportunity for them to flaunt their yachts and throw parties that us mere mortals can only dream of attending.  From Chanel’s renowned annual showcase of their pre- Spring/ Summer collection to the descent of every international star of the silver screen to a tiny seaside town in the south of France, Cannes is a fortnight-long party that you absolutely cannot miss, whether you’re a supermodel,  superblogger, superstar or a mere spectator, like the rest of us.

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Image from Vogue.co.uk

The annual Cinema Against AIDS Gala to benefit amfAR, a charity which researches cures and preventions for HIV and AIDS, is a yearly highlight of the Cannes festival. With 2013 being its 20th anniversary year, the organisers pulled out all the stops, with a catwalk show curated by Carine Roitfeld and featuring such supers as Rosie Huntington-Whitely heading the bill.  However it was on the red carpet the Brit supermodel shone the most, with the sculptural lines of a simple, yet scene stealing, white dress by Christian Dior both showing off her phenomenal body and nodding to this season’s trend for clean-cut, architectural lines.

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Image from Vogue.co.uk

White was definitely the colour du jour on the red carpet for this year’s Cannes. Seen on both the French ingénue Marion Cotillard and the English rose Carey Mulligan, the trend was showcased to best effect by Jessica Chastain as she attended the 50th anniversary showing of Hollywood classic Cleopatra. Her elegant ivory silk backless Versace number was accessorized with jewels that once belonged to the film’s eponymous star Elizabeth Taylor, who been given them on the set by her husband and paramour Richard Curtis. If that isn’t old school Hollywood glamour, then I don’t know what is.

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Winner of this year’s red carpet rock and most amazing transformation ever award goes to our very own Jake Bugg- dating, suspicious package of white powder dropping- Cara Delevine for her simultaneously ravishing and gothic appearance on the Cannes red carpet.  After arriving at the airport in her typical tomboy style, Cara subsequently emerged on the red carpet in a dramatic black lace Burberry gown, dripping in Chopard diamonds and looking every bit the femme fatale. A transformation that every Life & Style reader presumably seeks to achieve between the library and Fab, the look worked perfectly due to the combination of on-trend gothic lace with a classically elegant silhouette and statement makeup.

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Image from Vogue.co.uk

It is a truth universally acknowledged that nothing will ever be able to beat a man in a classic black tuxedo, a fact which makes picking the best dressed male at a red carpet event such as Cannes extra difficult. However, James Franco in his sky blue Gucci summer suit is definitely a contender for the role. The fabric is just the right side of shiny to make it appropriate for a day time event, and his simple accessorizing with casual brogues and aviators make him appear a lot less stuffy and overheated in the Cannes sun that his fellow tuxedo wearing co-stars.

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Image from Vogue.co.uk

Lastly, at any red carpet event there is always stands head and shoulders above the rest. And not just literally, because she is a supermodel; at this year’s Cannes the Victoria’s Secret Angel Doutzen Kroes strode out in an assortment of figure hugging, asset increasing dresses that clung to her near perfect frame. The nude, Grecian number by Atelier Versace ticks all sorts of Spring/ Summer ’13 trend boxes, but despite all its couture extravagance and Doutzen undoubted beauty, the look can actually teach us something useful about our own summer dressing. It may seem obvious, but here Doutzen definitely wears the dress, as opposed to letting it overpower her. Confidence, it appears, is the number one weapon in a supermodel’s armoury. A lesson for us all.

Written by Amy Wakeham
Featured image from marieclaire.it

2nd June 2013 at 2:28 pm

2nd June 2013 at 2:29 pm