How To Prepare for Christmas | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How To Prepare for Christmas

Life&Style writer Ellie Watts explains how to take the stress out of Christmas by preparing now

Christmas is one of the most anticipated and celebrated events of the year, but it can also be one of the most stressful when it comes to preparing for such a big occasion. From food and decorations to presents and a tree, there is a huge amount of work needed to have a brilliant holiday. So, here are a few tips for getting ready for Christmas.

Making a List and Planning Events

When you have no idea where to start, the best thing you can do is to make a list. Any avid organisers will be well aware that list-making is a great tool. Begin with listing the people that you wish to buy presents for/send cards to, and note any gift ideas next to their names to avoid forgetting what they wanted. This will help you to budget a certain amount of money towards your gift list and not overspend. Lists are also a great form of motivation if you struggle to find enthusiasm to get buying presents, checking off each person once you’ve sorted out their gift can be so satisfying and encourage you to finish the list.

Lists are also a great form of motivation if you struggle to find enthusiasm to get buying presents

At this time of the year, the multitude of parties and festive gatherings can become overwhelming, so getting your calendar out now can help you to stay organised during such a busy period. If you use a digital calendar, either on your computer or phone, you should be provided with reminders leading up to the events. Knowing these events are approaching should allow you to be fully prepared. Moreover, be sure to note down any gifts you need to take to family or friend gatherings, to avoid last minute journeys on Christmas Eve, frantically dropping off those forgotten presents. 

Online shopping and The German Market

Another great tip for people who prefer to avoid busy market places or shops, online shopping could be perfect for you. This allows you to do your research for more unusual gifts, find and compare the best prices for your budget. Not to mention, student discounts can be very useful at this point! This gives you the opportunity to order, wrap, and label your gifts to get ahead of the shopping chaos that becomes increasingly prevalent as we edge closer to Christmas!

Goodies including hats and scarves, Christmas decorations and an abundance of chocolate, sweets and marshmallows

Taking place in Victoria square and New Street, the German Market returns yet again to Birmingham and will be here from the 17th of November to the 24th of December, selling all sorts of goodies including hats and scarves, Christmas decorations and an abundance of chocolate, sweets and marshmallows! Which all make wonderful gifts, and opening mid-November, you can get all your shopping done early, with the added festive touch of your gift being sourced from this very special market.

Taking Stock and Replenishing Food and Drink

It’s time to get those decorations out of storage. Firstly, check that they still work, note down any bulbs on lights that are broken and in need of replacing. Ensure you haven’t lost too many baubles from last Christmas, and make sure you have an abundance of tinsel and any other of your favourite festive decorations. This will give you a good idea of what you’re running low on, need to replace, or any additional items that you’d like to buy. Living Christmas trees can be difficult to prepare for, they shed needles and need to be replenished with water every couple of days, so an alternative is an artificial tree. They are available in all shapes and sizes, can be put up easily and used for many years.

Take advantage of any current bulk-buy deals for alcohol or cans of food, to make sure you are well-stocked

Similarly with food and drink, either make a list or keep a mental note of any non-perishable foods and drink. These items can be bought in advance as they won’t perish, so take advantage of any current bulk-buy deals for alcohol or cans of food, to make sure you are well-stocked when the event comes around.