Long Distance Valentine's Day | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Long Distance Valentine’s Day

Madeline McInnis shares her ideas on how to make Valentine's Day special when you are oceans away from your partner

For those of us in long distance relationships, Valentine’s Day is probably more complicated than it is for anyone else. You still have to do the relationship stuff, buying cards and presents, but you can’t actually see your partner.

You are surrounded by the happy couples and probably feel as lonely as ever, missing your partner more than usual. You can’t relate to your lonely single friends, but you can’t be a happy couple either.

You can’t relate to your lonely single friends, but you can’t be a happy couple either

Life isn’t a rom-com, as much as we wish it was, and our Mark Darcy isn’t going to show up halfway across the world for Valentine’s Day. However, there are plenty of things you can do to ease that pain and feel a little closer to your partner on the day of love.

First of all, make sure you set aside some time to actually talk to your partner on the 14th. See if you can set up a Skype date, or even just talk on the phone. Hearing from them and spending some time together is a gift, especially when you’re so far apart. Both of you are probably feeling a bit lonely, so it can brighten up both of your days.

It does not have to be lonely either. This is a great time of year to plan a trip for post-exam season, and flights are typically cheaper when you book three months ahead. You can beat the busy lines and expensive meals on the day and make your own special I-love-you date when you can see each other face to face.

Look forward to what you have to come in the future, and remember that Valentine’s Day is just a special day for love. It doesn’t change the fact that you love your partner every other day too. It will mean even more when you finally get to see each other.

If you are looking to buy a gift, order online and in advance! The bonus of this is that you can just ship it right to them, saving the time of going to the post office and letting the company side deal with the logistics.

There is completely unlimited potential of what you can get online, whether it’s something simple off Amazon, something personal from Redbubble, or even something you’ve designed yourself on a website like T-Fury. There’s absolutely no way that you can’t find something that they will like.

If you really aren’t feeling Valentine’s Day this year, take a page from your single friends’ book: Make it a day to love yourself

On the thought of shipping, why not send them a card as well? Emails are nice, but mailing a card shows the extra initiative of thinking ahead and having some personalization behind it. Whether you buy one from the store or make it yourself, it is a relatively cost-effective way to show someone that you care.

Furthermore, if you really aren’t feeling Valentine’s Day this year, take a page from your single friends’ book: make it a day to love yourself. Treat yourself to a nice meal or a new Amazon order. Take a trip into the city and see a film with your buddies. Even just stay in, have a shower, get takeaway and have a Netflix night.

That is the beauty in long distance relationships on this day: you really have no expectation or plans. You can make it whatever you want without the pressure of going out and making it a huge deal. Your love for your partner can speak for itself and you don’t need flowers to tell you that.

(@madmcin)

Pixnio