Where to Shop For Unusual Stocking Fillers | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Where to Shop For Unusual Stocking Fillers

Life&Style writer Molly Reilly explains which shops are selling the best (and most unusual) stocking fillers this year

Wilko 

Long established as a student-friendly retailer, Wilko stocks a beautiful range of stationary for getting organised in the new year, as well as cheap and cheerful scrapbooks and photo albums which would make a lovely personalised gift. Wilko is a stockist of the coveted Malteaser ‘teasers’ chocolate bumper pack, so if you have a friend that likes to pick all the Malteasers out of a box of celebrations then you may be onto a winner here. Top picks from Wilko include the DIY cocktail and pizza making kits which are great activities to do once all the gifts have been given and things are winding down.

A beautiful range of stationary for getting organised in the new year, as well as cheap and cheerful scrapbooks and photo albums

Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters made its name curating cool and quirky fashion now its gift section continues to bring together fun, unique items. Here you will find something for everyone, from cookbooks to photo frames and potted plants or even wacky American candy, a trip to urban outfitters leaves even the most seasoned gift giver saying, “why didn’t I think of that?”. Top picks from Urban Outfitters include the Instax mini photo display case (because we all know someone with a polaroid camera) and the deluxe world scratch map which is a striking way for the jetsetter to track their travels around the world.

Its gift section continues to bring together fun, unique items

Flying Tiger 

Flying tiger (formerly known simply as Tiger) is king of gag gifts. Here you’ll find everything from elf slippers and Christmas turkey hats to hilarious games to play on Christmas day. Whether you’re looking for something family friendly or an unusual take on a classic drinking game Flying Tiger is sure to have something to add to the festive fun. Most things at Flying Tiger are reasonably priced which makes it the perfect place to pick things up and create your own themed gift hamper, grab a few cookie cutters and some snacks from the food section and put together your own baking set.

You’ll find everything from elf slippers and Christmas turkey hats to hilarious games to play on Christmas day

TK Maxx

TK Maxx is often a bit of a jumble sale, however hosting an eclectic mix of one off home items and gifts from little known brands ensures that every visit is different and you nearly always end up leaving with something you didn’t go in looking for. Many people don’t realise that TK Maxx also stocks a huge range of discounted beauty bits from huge brands like Nars, Too Faced, Real Techniques and Bobbi Brown which is certainly worth a look for the makeup maven on a budget. Whilst there is a good selection of makeup in store there is usually much more available online and you can order items to store to ensure you get an unopened product.

Certainly worth a look for the makeup maven on a budget

Aldi

Whilst Aldi is not usually the first place that springs to mind when searching for stocking fillers they have an amazing range of festive food and drink which would please even the most discerning gifter. The Christmas range steps things up a notch providing luxury gifting for less, with champagne truffles and Italian nougat which look and taste more akin with M&S than with Aldi. Sure to be a popular choice are the miniature bottles of prosecco, perfect to pop in a stocking at just £2.50 each, but if you’re looking for a non-alcoholic gift then the artisan cholate dipped honeycomb or a traditional Italian pandoro Christmas cake would certainly go down a treat.

An amazing range of festive food and drink which would please even the most discerning gifter