Single on Valentine’s Day? Turn V-Day into Me-Day | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single on Valentine’s Day? Turn V-Day into Me-Day

Life&Style's Bethan Lewis discusses how to overcome the disappointment of being alone on Valentine's Day

It’s that time of year again when the shops fill with overpriced flowers and heart-shaped chocolates and us singletons are made to feel bad because we don’t have someone to spend the day with. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it’s time to stop feeling sorry for yourself and go and do something you enjoy with the people that make you happy. So, while your housemate goes on a romantic date with their girlfriend or boyfriend, find a way to make yourself feel good and then stock up on the discounted chocolates leftover in the shops the next day.

With all the hype that surrounds Valentine’s Day, single people are sometimes made to feel ashamed to be alone, but we shouldn’t feel like we need a relationship to be happy. Whether you’d prefer to spend the day with friends, turn to Tinder or just simply ignore it all together and get on with life as if it were a regular day, there’s always a way to avoid feeling down on Valentine’s Day.

Surrounding yourself with friends will make you realise that you don’t need a partner to take you on a date to have a good time on Valentine’s Day

Doing something with your friends can be a great way to spend Valentine’s Day, whether that be watching your favourite film, going out for cocktails or cooking a meal together. Surrounding yourself with friends will make you realise that you don’t need a partner to take you on a date to have a good time on Valentine’s Day. And since Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday this year, what better way to enjoy the night than dressing up like an idiot, going to sports night and dancing for hours at the Guild.

Even if all your friends are in relationships and can’t spend the day with you, having time by yourself can be a great way to relax. You can focus on treating yourself by ordering a takeaway, binge watching the newest Netflix programmes or having some retail therapy.

Thinking about the positives of being single on Valentine’s Day can also help to cheer yourself up. You save a lot of money, you don’t have to stress about finding the right gift and planning a date, and you can even choose to watch any film you want instead of compromising. There’s no pressure to have the perfect day and look your best, instead, you can sit in pyjamas all day with scruffy hair and no makeup. With Valentine’s Day often having such high expectations, being single means you will have no disappointments of a date that doesn’t go exactly the way you want it to, and instead you can channel your energy into having a positive day for you.

First year History student

Ylanite Koppens