2018 Fashion Trends To Look Out For | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

2018 Fashion Trends To Look Out For

Now that we're well into 2018, Life and Style's Josie Hart predicts the upcoming fashion trends that we'll see over the next year

Moving into the new year means turning over a new leaf and with that comes new fashion trends. What the upcoming seasons might look like can be predicted by looking at the catwalks, what celebrities are wearing and the major events happening this year. With all the heavy workloads and deadlines that also come with a new year, it’s time to get a bit of retail therapy and start making these additions to your wardrobe so you can be right ahead of the upcoming trends!

At the end of 2017 and into the new year, messages of female empowerment have been abundant in the world of fashion. For instance, the Golden Globes red carpet was painted with black clothing in recognition of the ‘Time’s Up’ campaign. But even if, like mine, your red carpet invitation got lost in the post, you can still show your solidarity with this important message as trends associated with female empowerment are being translated into every day clothing.

At the end of 2017 and into the new year, messages of female empowerment have been abundant in the world of fashion
Tailored suits and flat shoes for women will be all the rage in 2018, as we are already seeing with tailored trousers hitting all the high street stores. Also, many designers have been inspired by ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ which was recently adapted for television.  This means high necks and long skirts but with structured silhouettes or sheer panels that bring a new dimension to usual conservative dress.

Also, the major 2018 event on everyone’s minds, the Royal wedding, is likely to impact what we’ll be wearing this year. Looking to Meghan’s wardrobe, a trench coat will be a good investment. In terms of the dress, if her engagement photos and the rumours that she’s considering Inbal Dror as the designer are anything to go by, tight fitting but elegant dresses are what we’ll all be looking for after the wedding.

The Royal wedding is likely to impact what we’ll be wearing this year

Another major event likely to influence 2018 trends is the last year’s Versace S/S 2018 show, marking 20 years since Gianni Versace’s death. As it was so highly publicised and spoken about, celebrity stylists will be fighting to get clients seen in the looks. This means 80s fashion is likely to be a trend this year. Bright colours, bold patterns, chunky belts and shoulder pads are what you can expect to see in the shops. But whilst womenswear takes a trip to the 80s, men’s fashion will see influences of the 70s in 2018. This means you should get your hands on some wide-collared shirts, a polo neck and a patterned suit.

In terms of more casual wear, the athleisure trend is also going retro. Expect logos over everything, colourful and baggy vintage sports jackets and trousers and maybe the return of the velour tracksuit? It’s 2018! Anything could happen!

1st February 2018 at 9:00 am