Autumn Beauty Lookbook | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Autumn Beauty Lookbook

Life&Style writer Megan Stolz guides you through the best beauty trends for autumn

Warm tones, a berry lip and brown smoky eyes; the holy grails of autumnal beauty are back, and this year there’s a twist. Think ‘snogged-off’ lips and a gloss takeover; reverse smoky eyes and a pop of colour – there’s never been a better time to experiment with your go-to looks.

Gloss Eyed
Imagine the allure of a glossy lip - full, polished and inviting. Then apply it to your eyes. This means keeping it dewy, natural and sophisticated whilst being careful not to over-do it – eyelid grease is never a good look. Be sure to keep the skin fresh and simple and let the lips pack the final punch; you’ll never go wrong with a berry red stain.

Autumn

Have Your Cake and Wear It Too
Think party rings, mini eggs and birthday cake frosting. This trend is all about the pastelised tones of the sweeter things in life, and whilst it may take a bit of getting used to, Mary Katrantzou knew exactly what she was doing when opting to juxtapose them with the deeper shades of plum and teal so often synonymous with our winter wardrobes. Autumn is a month of transition after all.

Autumn

Shades of Blue
If it’s good enough for Victoria Beckham, then it’s good enough for us, and the navy smoky eye featured in her recent Estee Lauder campaign is certainly no exception to that rule. The Queen of sultry eyes plays with the more daring colours of our autumnal pallets here, bringing sophisticated glamour to an otherwise classic look, through the use of glitter-infused sapphires and midnight blues blended into a blown-out wing.

As for the skin? Keep it simple. Think peach toned blush and true nude lip, then sit back, relax and let your eyes do the talking.

Autumn

Berry
If there’s a reason us beauty junkies love the transition into autumn so much, then the opportunity to bring out a berry lip is most definitely it. Making it onto A/W runways every year, it seems almost criminal to continue referring to that fruity pout as a ‘trend’, and this season’s take on it seems like a playful nod to its many years of dedicated service. The smudged-out edges of what Val Garland refers to as a “snogged-off lip” made their debut back stage at Preen; almost as an allusion to autumn’s ongoing love affair with the deep hues of plum and burgundy, and forming a key component of that romantic ‘between the sheets’ look. Whilst the trend itself may seem rather extreme for the streets of Birmingham, at the very least we can take inspiration from its ‘un-done’ nature; steering clear of harsh edges and taking time to blend, blend, blend!

Autumn