How eco-friendly is your period? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How eco-friendly is your period?

Following on from Earth Day, Life&Style's Ellie Watts explains some of the eco-friendly period products that can reduce the damage done to the planet

If you didn’t know, we recently celebrated Earth Day this year on 22nd April. The primary target of the campaign is to raise awareness of the ways in which we can be more eco-friendly and reduce the damage that we inflict on the Earth, where a large part of this damage is the amount of pollution we create. This pollution includes large amounts of plastics that negatively affect the environment and lots of products that can’t be re-used or recycled. So, in the spirit of Earth Day, what exactly can we do to help? Well, it’s the little things that can actually make a big difference.

Were you aware that in the UK, non-reusable period products generate 200,000 tonnes of waste each year? It’s difficult to imagine that such a small thing could have this much of an impact, but on a greater scale it’s quite substantial. Don’t worry, plenty of alternatives to well-known tampon and pad brands exist that are more aware of the effect that they are having on the environment.

First, we have the option of buying the same style of period products, but without the plastics, chemicals, and scents that take much longer to break down and add to our large amounts of pollution. Enter Freda, an eco-conscious brand that focuses on organic and natural products that won’t negatively impact the environment. With a range of sizes and styles you can find the guilt-free period products that are right for you. Freda’s founder, Affi Parvizi-Wayne, stresses the key values behind their products, “Our products contain no chemicals, without compromise on protection. We always put our customers’ needs first, while constantly pushing for more sustainable packaging, ingredients, and production.” These products are made with naturally-absorbent, breathable, hypoallergenic organic cotton – so you’re getting a high quality and comfortable product whilst simultaneously saving the environment, what could be better?

Another option (that isn’t for everyone, but seems to be gaining popularity) is the Mooncup. The basic principles that led to the creation of the Mooncup are in pursuit of putting an “end to the waste, discomfort and expense of disposable sanitary protection.” Each one of us uses 11,000 disposable sanitary products in a lifetime that find their way into landfills or our seas. The Mooncup is a soft silicon menstrual cup that can last for years, meaning that this option is financially savvy as well as being good for the Earth. The cup contains no plastic or dyes, and it is hypoallergenic and latex-free, so it’s ideal if you are sensitive or allergic to any strong chemicals. Many people seem wary at first but it’s not long before they are complete converts, and I can see why.

The above options are just a couple of ways that your choice of sanitary product could help our environment, many others exist and it’s worth exploring these options and self-educating so we can all live in a greener and healthier world. More than anything, it’s about raising awareness and becoming conscious of the everyday decisions we make that could adversely affect the environment.

To find out more about the ways you can help to reduce the impact you have on the environment, visit https://www.earthday.org/.

Yanasha Itch