Midlands Fashion Awards 2013 - Review | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Midlands Fashion Awards 2013 – Review

On Friday 11th October, here at Life&Style we were excited to attend the annual Midlands Fashion Awards for their fifth year of celebrating local fashion

On Friday 11th October, here at Life&Style we were excited to attend the annual Midlands Fashion Awards for their fifth year of celebrating local fashion.

With a talented spectrum of designers, makeup artists, stylists, and more, we were treated to the very best the Midlands has to offer at The Loft Lounge in the city centre – and boy were we impressed!

Before the fashion show we were given the opportunity to talk to and explore some of the work of the local designers.

Midlands Fashion Awards 2013

Midlands Fashion Awards 2013

Amongst our favourites, we were seriously impressed by accessory designer Yu Shan Li, whose innovative and individual multi-purpose accessories combined practicality with chic seamlessly. Her pieces, which were unisex and could be a backpack, scarf, cape or satchel were so innovative and useful. Her evident talent was later rewarded when she was given the award for Accessory Designer of the Year.

Other accessory designers that stood out for us were Scarlett Louise Jewellery and Suzanne Kugler, who both used unusual materials to make stunning jewellery pieces. Scarlett Louise Jewellery cast her pieces in brass and used the idea of turning flowers into metal in order to create beautiful decayed nature inspired rings and necklaces.

In contrast, Suzanne Kugler used delicate ceramics for her pieces which combined classic materials in modern shapes with beautiful effects.

We were also impressed by the talent of previous A-Level students Lily Bevan and Vanessa Gott. Vanessa Gott focused on the idea of a Premium Range of clothes and created a stunning jacket as her final piece. Bought from a charity shop, Vanessa cut, sewed and altered the jacket until it included a fur collar, tribal tassels and more. Top marks from us Vanessa!

Midlands Fashion Awards Young Designer of the Year Sarah King Coventry University Fashion Graduate

Lily designed an amazing two piece final design which reflected her brief of how technology had advanced fashion.

Her design used dance gear fabrics, deep blue tie-dye and a dark hood which had small LED lights hand stitched into three layers of fabric. The result was a delicately illuminated dark fabric that captured the idea of modernity.

We were then treated to the fashion show and awards ceremony. Amongst the sheer range of talent, our personal favourite designer under the Young Designers Showcase was Danielle Warren. Mixing wearability with effortless clean lines and clean colours - the clothes looked beautiful in movement.

The prints were reflections of photographs which created a kaleidoscopic affect, and combined with beautiful tailoring the collection was simply stunning.

We also loved Alexandra Hughes’s designs which featured in the Emerging Designers category. Showcasing Resort Wear, these pieces were incredibly well fitted.

The block colours of fuchsia and bottle green panelling followed the lines of the body effortlessly and created a low-key but super-chic look when combined with the clean white in the rest of the outfit. We fell in love with a one-piece swimming costume that is probably the most flattering shape and fit that you will see for a long time.

Overall, the motifs that kept popping up throughout the designers’ works were photography prints, sportswear elements, lazer cut detailing, embellishment, lace, muted, earthy tones and Asian prints with influences including kimono style wraps.

Plus, we were also extremely surprised to see a dress made entirely out of orange train tickets! Amazingly, designer Aleah Leigh managed to make it work as Haute Couture!

Our writer Elizabeth even bagged herself a Dinner for Two at Hampton Manor in the charity raffle! It was definitely a successful night all round. Bring on next year!

Find out more:
midlandsfashionawards.co.uk/

Featured image of Yu Shan Li - Accessory Designer of the Year De Mont Fort University
Written by Marianne Lampon & Elizabeth Green