How To Have a Productive Reading Week | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How To Have a Productive Reading Week

Life&Style editor Kamila Geremek shares her top tips on how to make the most of reading week from both a personal and academic perspective

Make a Plan: You will not be productive without a to do list. That’s my theory, maybe you have a different one, but I find that seeing how much you need to do puts everything into perspective and allows you to manage your time better by prioritising tasks that are more urgent or take more time. Plus, there is nothing more satisfying than ticking things off a to do list, giving you that little sense of accomplishment.

Switch Off: Maybe not entirely, but when trying to focus on your work do what you have to do in order to complete it and switch off from social media. Your phone may be your best friend but during reading week it’s your arch enemy. Turn it on silent or night mode and ignore all the notifications that come through. Tell your bestie or your bae that you’re trying to do work and you don’t want to be distracted and get on with that work.

Make Time for Family and Friends: Yes, reading week is meant for catching up on work, but if you do go home, and you’re not the type to visit regularly throughout the year, there is nothing better than spending time with family and friends to destress and forget about work for a couple of hours. If you’re staying at uni, then organise a coffee date with your friends or go and do something, whether its shopping, a walk in the park, a trip to the cinema or a trip to Cadbury world, it is necessary to take a break.

Make Time for Yourself: As a student, you don’t get a lot of time to yourself, to reflect on what you have done and what you intend to do. Give yourself that well deserved bubble bath that you have been putting off for weeks, go for a run, do some yoga, discover a new TV show or catch up on your favourites. It is important to do your work, but with the pressure of uni work, extra-curricular activities and keeping up with your social life, it is critical to stay sane. After a couple hours of me time you will find that you feel refreshed and ready to finish that essay.

(@omg_kam)

flickr