Little Mix on The X Factor: Shout out to our (S)Ex(ist) views? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Little Mix on The X Factor: Shout out to our (S)Ex(ist) views?

Eleaner Cross looks at viewers sexist comments following Little Mix's performance on The X Factor

Little Mix performed their new number 1 hit on The X Factor stage the other week, but it would seem that rather than leaving everyone with opinions about their catchy new song (Shout out to my Ex), the focus was instead simply on their outfits- or rather lack of them. The four girls did indeed wear some skimpy outfits whilst they danced on stage, showing a fair amount of leg, but I really have to ask the question: why the hell does it matter?

'Let the girls wear what they want. And if you have a problem with it, then it is precisely that - your problem'

A week after their performance, the only articles that you would find if you googled ‘Little Mix, Shout Out to My Ex’ were the ones that focused on the ‘prostitute and stripper’ outfits that they performed in. There was next to nothing on their actual performance and until I looked at these articles, I really had no idea that anyone even had a problem with their attire, and after checking with my housemates, they didn’t either. Words such as ‘inappropriate’ ‘slutty’ and ‘tasteless’ were used to describe their performance and as I read this, I started to feel slightly annoyed.

These words were, in my opinion, not describing their performance, but rather letting the girl’s clothes dictate how the rest of the performance went. I understand that, as a singer, you are in the public eye nearly all of the time, but I feel as though they should be judged for their actual job description, which is singing and personally I loved their new song and the way they presented it on The X Factor stage; their singing was in tune and their dancing was on point. I didn’t even consider what they were wearing. The performance itself was clever and made me feel like I wanted to sing along to the lyrics, despite not knowing the words at the time.

Perhaps the reason why they received so much critique was the fact that their song was about ex-boyfriends and scorned women. I can’t help but think that if Little Mix had been singing about female empowerment and body positivity, then their outfits would have been a tribute to their confidence and self-love. Tearing down these women and the clothes they wear is doing absolutely nothing for female empowerment anyway, especially when so many of the criticism comes from women; we should be supporting one another, not tearing them down. And besides, their ‘slutty’ outfits didn’t stop them from reaching number 1 in the charts, did it?

Let the girls wear what they want. And if you have a problem with it, then it is precisely that - your problem.

The Mirror