Live Preview: Lauryn Hill | Redbrick - Music | University of Birmingham

Live Preview: Lauryn Hill

Ben Johns previews Lauryn Hill's return to the UK later this year

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the multi Grammy Award winning album, ‘The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill’. To mark this milestone, soul singer and rapper Lauryn Hill, will embark on a five date UK arena tour throughout November and December, including a performance at Birmingham Arena on Tuesday 27th November.

‘The Miseducation…’ marked Hill’s first release as a solo artist following her departure from The Fugees. At the time, the album was praised by critics earning the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1999, with Hill also winning Best New Artist. Audiences also loved the material, with ‘Doo Wop (That Thing)’ becoming the first debut single to debut at number one on the Billboard Hot 100. ‘Doo Wop’ and follow up single ‘Ex-Factor’ both reached the Top 5 in the UK. Lauryn Hill’s legacy on modern soul, R&B, and rap remains, with ‘Ex-Factor’ being sampled most recently on Drake’s cross-atlantic number one, ‘Nice For What’, and Cardi B’s ‘Be Careful’.

Hill will begin her UK tour in Scotland at Glasgow’s SSE Hydro on Friday 23rd November, and will then head to Manchester Arena on Monday 26th November, the aforementioned Birmingham date at Arena Birmingham on Tuesday 27th November, Dublin’s 3Arena on Friday 30th November and will bring the tour to a close at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday 1st December.

Tickets are available here

(@ben_johns)

21st June 2018 at 12:00 pm

Eddy Rissling/The Come Up Show