Live Review: Peach Pit | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Peach Pit

Music Critic Lydia Waller reviews Peach Pit's latest live gig at Mama Roux's

The 20th of May was a night for good music in Digbeth. The small club venue Mama Roux’s hosted an intimate and quirky evening with Canada’s 4-piece indie-pop band Peach Pit, supported by UoB’s own 5-piece math-rock band Coffee Breath. The two bands complimented one another perfectly, as Coffee Breath’s overall dreamy guitar timbre and staccato and pacey drum beats flattered Peach Pit’s predominantly guitar led sugary sound. Coffee Breath welcomed the night with their textured sound of jangly riffs and complex beats, showing off the cohesive sound established in their first EP. They finished their set with new material, demonstrating some of their influences such as American Football and the dynamics created through emo sounds of harsh vocals and the mellifluous sound of trumpet. Coffee Breath set up the night with cohesive sounds, impressively illustrating their experimental abilities. A well-suited support for the intimate and dreamy vibes of Peach Pit to follow.

The quartet of Vancouver’s finest ‘bubblegum pop’ created a brilliant rapport with the crowd

Then for Peach Pit’s entrance, totally seamless and immediate, not even a minute to spare for tuning. This kick-started the set with sharp readiness and energy, warming up the crowd with the summery riffs and tinny beats of one of their oldest songs, ‘Seventeen’. The control demonstrated in the staccato pauses of the song, instantly established the effortless style and energy the band can conjure, filling the tiny room with all the warmth and excitement of the summer that their EP portrays. The sound quality of the venue was surprisingly crisp and well moderated, never overpowering any of the components of the band, maintaining a strong foregrounding of Chris Vanderkooy’s insane guitar parts. The quartet of Vancouver’s finest ‘bubblegum pop’ created a brilliant rapport with the crowd, making use of the small capacity and venue to have some lighthearted banter about lead Smith’s mum sending inappropriate bit-emojis. They had genuine warmth and appreciation for the opportunity to tour internationally as such a small band, which they channelled through charming banter and humble yet utterly fulfilling stage presence.

‘Alright Aphrodite’, is a tune epitomising their dreamy, muted, effortless edge, to well thought out indie-pop, with their delicious Canadian charm and 70s roller-neck fashion

Their set dipped in and out of their Sweet F.A EP, from the ripening days of Peach Pit, and their newly released LP Being So Normal, creating an energising dynamic of summery and sugary vibes of their early sounds and their slightly grungier and atmospheric riffs and basslines of their new album. Midway through the set the band treated us to their most mellow and atmospheric sound with ‘Tommy’s Party’, to then up the ante with Vanderkooy’s insanely intricate guitar instrumentals in ‘Being so Normal’. which he took to the crowd and continued to maintain a gluey and bouncy sound with a muted reverb. If there is one thing Peach Pit can prove live, it is their effortless cohesion and control, enhanced through Chris’ stylised and tasteful moments of shred and instrumental. Smith’s vocals are what give Peach Pit their wonderfully unique and textured pop sound, and were seamlessly followed through from recording to live, illustrating the group’s genuine talent and lack of synthetic alterations to their sound. The night concluded itself with Peach Pit’s heavily desired encore of ‘Alright Aphrodite’, a tune epitomising their dreamy, muted, effortless edge, to well thought out indie-pop, with their delicious Canadian charm and 70s roller-neck fashion. Every element of this gig left the tiny yet closely connected Peach Pit crowd smiling and bouncing along consistently, through what was a genuinely enjoyable and professional night of music.

Peach Pit will continue to tour through the UK and return to Canada over the summer and I could not recommend following them on their travels and seeing them live more, than I can recommend appreciating Vanderkooy’s moustache and roller-neck combination.

10th June 2018 at 9:09 pm

Asia Live