In Memoriam: Wes Craven | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

In Memoriam: Wes Craven

George Griffiths pays tribute to legendary director Wes Craven.

If you’ve ever watched a horror film made within the last 40 years, then you owe a heartfelt thank you to Wes Craven, the trail-blazing director who sadly died this week at the age of 76, after a long battle with cancer.

Craven’s mark on his chosen genre is absolutely undeniable; from Last House on the Left, to Nightmare on Elm Street, and Scream, Craven was always at the centre of the films that molded, changed and updated the horror genre. Whether it was the shock-gore of Last House on the Left, a film so shocking when it was first made that it was actually banned from being shown in Britain for a number of years, or the seismic movement in modern horror caused by Craven’s post-modern masterpiece, Scream, which took a standard teen slasher film and turned it into an art from that few have ever held a candle to (including Craven himself, whose three sequels to the film range from just-as-good to what the hell).

But Craven’s legacy shouldn’t just be as a ‘horror director’ - it should be as one of the most distinct and recognisable film-making voices of his generation. Craven meant business, and his films weren’t just great horror films; they were great films, full-stop.

What are your favourite Craven movie moments? Let's reminisce in the comments below.

Cross-Media editor for Redbrick Film, English with Creative Writing second year. Also likes Style by Taylor Swift. (@georgegriffiths)

3rd September 2015 at 10:59 am

3rd September 2015 at 11:03 am