Milan Fashion Week Roundup | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Milan Fashion Week Roundup

Life&Style writer, Antonia Miles, gives us a roundup of the highlights from this year's Milan Fashion Week, which showcased daring menswear for the new year

Milan has been a catalyst in many key fashion movements in menswear, with designers pushing creativity and most importantly, ‘wearability’ at the forefront of designs. Sitting front row at Milan Fashion Week were the likes of Yung Lean, A$AP Rocky, Chiara Ferragni and Paris Hilton, who saw the debut of some seriously eye-catching menswear looks.

Urban street style saw distressed denim, slogan tops galore, rolled up jeans and the surprisingly cool resurgence of the flex jacket mixed with fine tailoring, such as trench coats, loafers and smart tailored suits making a comeback. My favourite look to grace the catwalk was a combination of the two key trends, by layering smart camel coats over hoodies or slogan tops.

Armani

All hail Giorgio Armani, the King of Milan FW! Armani’s menswear fashion show certainly turned heads in their debut of tailored designs and structured jackets.  What I loved the most about Armani’s collection was the focus on clashing textures; think velvet, shearling trims and fur coats!

Palm Angels

Preppy street style is very much in again, thanks to the designing genius of Francesco Ragazzi. I love the use of distressed denim with cut outs, not to mention the bright colour pops. They certainly make a change from dark winter hues.

designers pushing creativity and most importantly, ‘wearability’ at the forefront of designs

Fendi

Fendi has championed the overarching trend to brace the catwalk; urban street style with fine tailored detail. Faux fur is very much in for menswear next season, mixed with urban sportswear brands.

Etro

Etro has pushed a mountaineering look forward in many of its designs this season. It certainly has a marmite quality to but no one can accuse Etro of not being creative in its’ designs. The combination of sneaker boots, tailored jackets and tech poly pants works surprisingly well (just think back to your school days and the trousers you wore for PE when it was cold outside!)

Boglioli

The debut of Boglioli’s line saw the return of soft shouldered jackets and what I would describe as Del Boy fashion, with shearling trims hot on the agenda again.

3rd Year Geography student // Editor for Life&Style // Interested in politics, current affairs and fashion! (@antoniawritesx)

In Style Look