Live Review: The Temper Trap | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: The Temper Trap

The Temper Trap put on a soulful, honest and beautiful show, writes Heather Evans

Here is the scene. You’re standing in the sweaty, intimate atmosphere of the O2 Institute, waiting for one of the most soulful bands of the alternative music scene. The lights go off, the room hushes. The drums begin, your heart quickens, and you know that an incredible night of passionate and dramatic music has just begun

This is how The Temper Trap took to the stage this December, and boy was it a fantastic show. After releasing their third studio album Thick as Thieves in June 2016, the Australian band graced Birmingham with their stunning vocals and brought the album to life. Despite this album being suited to a more optimistic, summery vibe than the wintery weather outside, the inspiring musicianship and lyrics warmed the soul - they truly meant every word. They showed that The Temper Trap still had their magic, regardless of losing their lead guitarist Lorenzo Sillito in 2013.

The band opened with title track ‘Thick as Thieves’, following with ‘Lost’, ‘Fall Together and ‘Burn’ from the same album. The vocals from lead singer Dougy Mandagi took me to another place entirely, making me lose track of time and who I was. I sang at the top of my lungs shamelessly, as did everyone else in that joyous atmosphere.

The Australian band graced Birmingham with their stunning vocals and brought the album to life

The Temper Trap also catered for those who had yet to discover the gem of their new album. Playing songs from their self-titled, second studio album The Temper Trap, they played the emotional ‘Trembling hands’ with honest soul. As Dougy sang the chorus ‘I’m on my own / Throw me a line’, his extensive and beautiful vocal range hit a powerful nerve inside my chest.

After departing from Thick as Thieves, the Australians continued with ‘So Much Sky’ and ‘Ordinary World’. Although much can be said in praise of Dougy, what really surprised me was the chemistry and musicianship we witnessed on stage. The harmonies between Dougy and the multi-talented Joseph Greer were incredible and really illuminated their sound. Dougy playing the tambourine during the cheerful single ‘Alive’ filled the room with so much happiness. The only way to describe that room was ‘content’.

They pleased the whole crowd by playing their best and most well-known track, ‘Sweet Disposition’, with so much energy that we all simply went nuts

In their encore, the band spoiled us with three songs before we went our way home. They brought the room down a notch with their heart-stopping song ‘Solider On’ from their debut album Conditions, whilst also playing ‘What if I’m Wrong’ from their latest. They gave us the best selection of themselves.

Oh, don’t worry. We were not disappointed. They pleased the whole crowd by playing their best and most well-known track, ‘Sweet Disposition’, with so much energy that we all simply went nuts. It was a beautiful crowd, a beautiful atmosphere, and a beautiful band. They knew how to take us on a brilliant musical rollercoaster, bringing us up and down with their music and captivating craftsmanship.

If you have not heard much from The Temper Trap except ‘Sweet Disposition’, I urge you to listen to their other music. They are incredible and, after a performance like they gave, they deserve more recognition for their other works.

BA English Literature. Lover of hot drinks, music, books and travel. @hev_evans

5th January 2017 at 2:27 pm