Live Review: Tuskegee at The Warehouse Project | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Tuskegee at The Warehouse Project

The Warehouse Project: believe the hype, says Hannah Brierley

Don’t make the mistake in thinking a Warehouse Project event is just for one night. It is guaranteed to claim the following day too, so if you are lucky enough to go, don’t make any plans. I woke up at 4pm following the Tuskegee takeover at Manchester’s infamous Warehouse Project, and my legs still ached from the hours of continuous dancing the night before.

It’s just impossible not to love the combination of festival fever and dingy rave
The huge hype surrounding this world-class event should really set it up to be a let-down, but it’s just impossible not to love the combination of festival fever and dingy rave, with a ridiculously good lineup, all in a car park in Manchester. As we entered I was instantly consumed by throbbing beats as Bas Ibellini warmed up Room 1. His seductive electronic sounds were the perfect welcome, and crowds were already beginning to build. We then headed to Room 3 for a drink (little tip - you get served quicker in the bar there, and if you don’t want to queue for the loo go to the ones in Room 3 or at the back of Room 2). For anyone who needs a break from the writhing crowds of sweaty bodies, I would recommend taking a trip to this smaller room which is hardly ever crowded and still boasts some exceptional DJs. Greg Lord, a long time Warehouse Project resident, was playing some mellow techno and we enjoyed the freedom to really move.

There was only one act the people at this event were really there to see though, and that was the ridiculously talented duo The Martinez Brothers playing back-to-back with the legendary Seth Troxler for five hours in Room 1. A match made in heaven. They began Tuskegee Music as a vinyl-only label back in 2014; this show was actually my third time watching them together and after their insanely impressive performance, I will definitely be going again. The visual effects, which were played on the front of and above the decks were unbelievably brilliant. At points they showed some of the infamous icons we’ve lost this year, like Bowie, Gene Wilder and Prince. There was even a psychedelic penis montage at one point. Although this all sounds a little mad, each visual fitted whatever track was playing perfectly with matching transitions, and the whole set had undoubtedly been masterfully thought through.

At points they showed some of the infamous icons we’ve lost this year - there was even a psychedelic penis montage at one point
A deep red junk yard accompanied the Martinez Brothers’ brilliant ‘Stuff in the Trunk’, which had the crowd chanting the song’s catchy lyrics. They’d been playing back-to-back for over four hours when my personal favourite moment of the night happened. They played a funky mix of Missy Elliot’s sassy anthem ‘Work It’ and everyone went wild. It was totally delicious and forced many people in the crowd to pull that classic bass face as the thumping rhythm seemed to make the entire room vibrate. Despite it nearing 5am, I danced with newfound energy, seemingly oblivious to the six hours I’d already spent there. When we finally filtered out into the freezing cold northern air, it felt as though it had all been over in a blur. I was desperate to rewind the night and experience the magic all over again. The Warehouse Project really is as good as everyone says.

(@brierleyygmail.com)

Life and Times