Single Review: Adele - Hello | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Adele – Hello

The all-important new Adele single, reviewed by Hannah Davies.

Last Sunday the UK continued watching The X Factor blissfully unaware of what was about to hit them. During an ad break; white words against a black screen and a voice all too familiar. A few days later an open letter appeared online … ‘And I’m sorry it took so long, but you know, life happened. Love, Adele.’ And with simple words and the honesty we’ve come to love, Adele showed all those who have tried before her exactly how to break the internet.

Since the success of 21 it seems like the whole world has been holding their breath waiting for the return of Adele - with the exception of every other big name in the industry, who have most likely relished in her hiatus. The lead track from her highly anticipated new album 25, ‘Hello,’ appeared on our airways on Friday and is a clear statement from the star as to why these all big names should be so scared for her return. Already comfortably taking its place at the number one spot on iTunes globally, it is a warning of what is yet to come, reaffirming her status as Queen of the British music industry. 

'Gone are the times where Adele's songs would be the go-to when we were needing a good cry into a pillow, eating ice cream from the tub. This track is about making up and moving on.'

Her gorgeous, husky tones and huge vocals take us back to the Adele we fell in love with all those years ago, however the lyrics are a far cry from those that we may be used to. She said herself, ‘my last record was a break up record and if I had to label this one I would call it a make-up record.’ This opening single apparently cementing that statement. Gone are the times where Adele's songs would be the go-to when we were needing a good cry into a pillow, eating ice cream from the tub. This track is about making up and moving on. Whilst Adele may no longer be our representative for all the broken hearts and lonely souls out there, she still tells a story through this song that we can all relate to. She sings of closure, of trying to apologise, to make up and to move on. To me, this song sounds like her final way to reach out in order to gain that - closure being seemingly the perfect place to start in introducing a new album about moving on in life.

Although the story she tells in this track may differ from what we have become so accustomed to, it is evident that Adele has not lost the sound that the whole world treasures her for. If there is one thing you can’t doubt with this song: this song is absolutely, fundamentally and confidently ‘Adele’. She kept us waiting, but made certain that every second would be worth it. With this track she prepares us for the inevitable - the world will fall at her feet once more.

Hunger TV

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT