Single Review: Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill and Shape of You | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Ed Sheeran – Castle on the Hill and Shape of You

Heather Evans gives us the low-down on the tracks that brought Ed Sheeran back into the limelight

When cheeky chappy Ed Sheeran posted a picture announcing new music for 2017, you might have heard the low rumble of excitement flowing through the whole country. After a hiatus following his X album in 2014, this is what we have been waiting for from the lovable ginger. And didn’t he just spoil us. He released not one but two long-awaited singles from his new album, due for release in March. I can confirm that they are both absolute hits, and it is no wonder that both occupied the two tops spots in the charts.

From ‘Shape of You’ and ‘Castle on the Hill’, Sheeran is showing his versatility as an artist, and that he hasn’t lost his magic. As well as being back on social media after taking a year off from Twitter, he is back with a bang, showing that he can get down and boogie, whilst also pulling our heart-strings and making us reminiscent back to our precious childhoods.

he is back with a bang, showing that he can get down and boogie, whilst also pulling our heart-strings and making us reminiscent back to our precious childhoods
Starting with ‘Shape of You’, Ed has revitalised the usual dance tune that us young adults are used to. Rather than wanting to go to the club, this single’s cool vibes and smooth lyrics takes us to the bar for a different, more charming story of ‘boy meets girl’. As well as falling in love with the girl’s body, the couple go for a date to the Chinese, with clever lyrics such as ‘talking about the sweet and sour’ reminding us of Sheeran’s unique play on words and meaning, referring to both their cuisine and their personal lives. Matching both the catchy, techno beat with Sheeran’s acoustic guitar, this song has a sincere rawness alongside his desire for this lucky lady. This is a refreshing change from music currently in the charts, and I simply cannot stop listening to Ed’s soulful and gripping vocals. Sheeran has brought the coolness back to the chase.

However, ‘Castle on the Hill’ takes us to another place entirely. Away from the bar to our hometowns and younger days, Sheeran tackles the topic of missing and returning home, something everyone can relate to in some capacity. Ed’s country essence in his guitar and heartfelt lyrics really hit home, I think making anyone want to ring their oldest friends and family. Images of playing with his brothers, watching sunsets with loved ones, and discussing where all his friends are now resonates deeply with growing up, making the listener reflect emotionally. His high notes and gritty tone are the glue to this single, and the purity of feeling is the reason why this song is so great. Everyone, everywhere, can relate.

That being said, the differences in these singles can only make us more excited for March 3rd. Ed – you have made us all fall in love with you all over again with your lyrics and musicianship. This is going to be a painful wait.

BA English Literature. Lover of hot drinks, music, books and travel. @hev_evans