Single Review: Swindail - C'est La Vie (feat. Innanet James) | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Swindail – C’est La Vie (feat. Innanet James)

'C'est La Vie' marks Swindail as an artist to watch, writes Matthew Freddura

There’s something about Aussie Rap that rubs me up the wrong way. The Australian accent is one that doesn’t seem to sit right in the world of emceeing. And I’m not alone in this opinion, Australian Hip-Hop Artists struggle to break into the international market - the obvious exception to the rule being Iggy Azalea. But her appropriative faux-blaccent recently has been a PR disaster which is reflected in her sales and imitating American Rappers doesn’t seem like the best way to generate global appeal.

Twenty-year-old Sydney native Sid Swindail demonstrates that it doesn’t have to be this way. His music avoids the overly drawl, spoken-word chillhop-eqsue vocals of other Aussie artists and doesn’t resort to imitating American Hip-Hop as the viable alternative. Swindail works collaboratively, bringing together the world of Rap with innovative Aussie productions. His latest single 'C'est La Vie' features the unique rhythm and rhymes of D.C. rapper Innanet James but keeps the progressive Aussie sounds in the vein of Flume and other Future Classic artists. Unlike some other figures in the Rap games, Swindail doesn’t take himself too seriously. Most of his social media postings are about cheesecake and his jazz tinged, 808 heavy funktrap rap weaves Innanet James’ playful lyrics with bouncy beats to create a feel good summer good anthem.

Swindail's music avoids the overly drawl, spoken-word chillhop-eqsue vocals of other Aussie artists and doesn’t resort to imitating American Hip-Hop as the viable alternative

Swindail has worked with the likes of Goldlink and remixed tracks from Gorillaz, iamnobodi and Mura Masa. Having been handpicked by Mad Decent’s Mr. Carmack to open for him on tour, endorsed by Skrillex (which believe it or not has become a good one to have in recent years) and championed by Soulection Radio – he is moving in all the right circles. His latest single showcases his production skills and with the help of Innanet James, the pair create an authentic feel-good record that will be popular with fans of Kaytranda and NxWorries.

'C'est La Vie' is a sign of good things to come; for Swindail and potentially the whole Aussie Rap genre. Watch this space, because Swindail is definitely one to watch.

final year American Studies and Film student from Cardiff (@matthewfreddura)

19th May 2017 at 10:00 am

18th May 2017 at 11:53 pm