Single Review: Wolf Alice - Yuk Foo | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Wolf Alice – Yuk Foo

Letty Gardner reviews the ferocious first single from Wolf Alice's long-awaited sophomore album.

Wolf Alice are back, and very, very angry. ‘Yuk Foo’ is Wolf Alice’s rage-filled return to the spotlight after their debut album My Love Is Cool came out in 2015. The single is the first to be released from the band’s upcoming second album, Visions of a Life, which is set to be released (with an accompanying tour) in Autumn 2017. The title suggests a tongue-in-cheek, playful yet defiant song, but the listening presents something very different.

The track builds and builds on its thrashing energy and viciousness, with each line snarled by Ellie Rowsell being more vicious than the last.  Far from the soft, poetic lyricism of Wolf Alice’s earlier tracks, such as ‘Silk’ or ‘Bros’, ‘Yuk Foo’ is overt and irate. ‘You bore me/ You bore me to death/ You deplore me/ And I don’t give a shit’ doesn’t leave much to the imagination. Wolf Alice are calling out mundanity and passivity with their energy-fuelled punk track.

Far from the soft, poetic lyricism of Wolf Alice’s earlier tracks, such as ‘Silk’ or ‘Bros’, ‘Yuk Foo’ is overt and irate

The genius of the track lies in Ellie Rowsell’s delivery. Her powerful, tempered, and theatrical shouts and whispers over the unruly wall of thrashing guitars presents a bold, youthful rage, as Wolf Alice refuse to return to the scene unheard. With many claiming that this track resurrects the ‘riot grrrl’ sound, Wolf Alice are making the waves that they want to make with their very, very loud return.

Second year English student

Paul Hudson