Album Review: George Ezra - Staying at Tamara's | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Album Review: George Ezra – Staying at Tamara’s

George Ezra delivers summery serenades and smokey-voiced balladry on his sophomore effort, earning a glowing review from Music's Elizabeth Bushell

Cast your mind back to the summer of 2014: The Fault in our Stars was released in cinemas, the ice bucket challenge was chilling us all to the core, and Scotland was preparing itself for a very important referendum. For myself, a little word document called my university personal statement was simmering away, meanwhile days spent staring at a computer screen were accompanied by a blond guy with vocals richer and sweeter than Willy Wonka’s own river and his debut album, Wanted on Voyage.

Staying at Tamara’s once again provides the perfect cocktail of upbeat summer tunes and earnest, chocolatey serenades
Four years later, George Ezra has finally released his sophomore album, Staying at Tamara’s, and to be honest, to say I was apprehensive about whether I should even listen to it at all would be an understatement. Wanted on Voyage had been and still is the perfect summer soundtrack from start to finish. Bops like ‘Blame It On Me’, ‘Cassy’O’, and not least ‘Budapest’, alongside Ezra’s more sombre songs like ‘Did You Hear The Rain?’ and ‘Stand by Your Gun’ meant there was a soundtrack for everything from scorching road trips to the moodiest of thunderstorms. When face to face with Staying at Tamara’s for the first time, the very idea of pressing play was anxiety inducing. Disappointment would be inadmissible.

However, if his first album was indeed Wanted on Voyage, it’s now safely stowed away in the hold. Staying at Tamara’s once again provides the perfect cocktail of upbeat summer tunes and earnest, chocolatey serenades, but this time delivered by a musician who appears far more comfortable in his own sound and image than before.

The bouncy skiffle we heard before has returned, so infectiously upbeat that it leaves anyone listening with a smile on their face
The songs ‘Get Away’, ‘Shotgun’, and the first single released from the album, ‘Don’t Matter Now’, conjure images of beaches and barbecues even while April is currently only offering cloud with a side of darker cloud. The bouncy skiffle we heard before has returned, so infectiously upbeat that it leaves anyone listening with a smile on their face. At the other end of the spectrum, Ezra still presents the versatility shown in his debut, with Mumford-esque songs such as ‘Hold my Girl’ and ‘Saviour (ft. First Aid Kit)’ this time displaying a more mature style in contrast with the croons on his first release.

Although Wanted on Voyage will always hold a special place in my heart, it’s going to have to move over and make room for Staying at Tamara’s. George Ezra provided my summer soundtrack in 2014, and it looks like he’s earned himself the same privilege in 2018 as well.

Third year Modern Languages student (@elizabaeth_b)

6th April 2018 at 9:00 am

Dork Magazine