Album Review: Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Album Review: Kasabian – For Crying Out Loud

The latest record from Kasabian is a catchy but largely forgettable affair, writes Nicholas Burton

It is difficult trying to follow-up what is undoubtedly one of Kasabian’s best albums. 48:13 captured that ever-reaching goal of making a futuristic rock record. The problem with For Crying Out Loud is that it seems to be a step-backwards. It is coherent, catchy, and solid, but it isn’t a vision into the future of rock music. All the lights are on, but nobody’s at home. It has all the necessary features of a good Kasabian record, but ultimately becomes a forgettable joyride.

For Crying Out Loud does have one of the catchiest songs I’ve heard in a long time. ‘You’re in Love with a Psycho’ is a song that makes complete sense to me within the context of the album, but not as a standalone single. This shows how Kasabian have come far in creating more coherent experiences with their albums, in similar vain to their first album Kasabian. It is good to hear that each song melds together well. The problem being that only a few stand out as single-worthy. ‘Comeback Kid’ is an illustration of the what Kasabian are capable of. But it just makes you think of what this album could have been.

There doesn’t appear to be any real depth here. The songs seem to be Kasabian having a good time, producing good vibes for the listener

This album could have been Kasabian securing their place as one of the great modern rock acts of the last twenty years. Instead sadly, it is a good album which you will undoubtedly have a good time with, for the short duration you are attracted to it. There doesn’t appear to be any real depth here. The songs seem to be Kasabian having a good time, producing good vibes for the listener. There is some nice guitar work, but it is overshadowed by a constant need to have the bass on the drums as loud as possible, attempting to create more groove within the album.

For Crying Out Loud is not bad. It just isn’t great. And great is what I expect from Kasabian. I hope that they expect the same for themselves.

A 2nd year Philosophy student at the University of Birmingham. Interested in giving honest opinions with others. Thinking and being passionate are my favourite hobbies, other than listening to Metallica. (@Nic_the_thinker)

18th May 2017 at 12:49 pm

Kasabian