EP Review: Rory Wynne - What Would Rory Wynne Do | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EP Review: Rory Wynne – What Would Rory Wynne Do

Kylie McCormick reviews the debut EP from Rory Wynne

Up and coming alternative musician Rory Wynne drops his first EP, What Would Rory Wynne Do, creating a work of songs that debuts his unique take on the world of alternative music. Produced in Liverpool the album uniquely blends quirky lyrical metaphors about love and relationships with a grungy alternative style. The EP marks the first for Rory, and hopefully defines a sound that will continue to be explored through more music.

The album uniquely blends quirky lyrical metaphors about love and relationships with a grungy alternative style
The EP is constructed around four songs that, while sharing the same alternative structure, are vastly different pieces of musical conception. 'Star in the Sky' is the first track on the EP; a mixture of edgy alternative and pop grunge the song is a sonically unique piece.  The multi-layered vocals of the track give it a really large feel; it could easily fill a stadium as well as a tiny pub. The sweet lyrical content that circumvents concepts of love and adoration offers that nice juxtaposition between sound and style that seems to permeate through Rory’s work.

Tunes 'Tell Me Now' and 'In the Dark' are both alternative tracks that have some influencing notes. 'Tell Me Now' is structured around guitars that feel very much like an early Nirvana tune. 'In the Dark' is more White Stripes than Nirvana, with clear vocals and a sunnier disposition the alternative track strips itself of the grunge noted in the other two.  'After Me' is the final track on the EP. The quick paced alternative song is pocketed around instrumental breaks that create a really lovely flow and emotional arch to the song. Allowing the music to breath and have open space offers a distinctive take to this song that is not noted in the other EP tunes.

Rory Wynne crafts a brilliant first EP that displays his distinguishing sound and writing style
Rory Wynne crafts a brilliant first EP that displays his distinguishing sound and writing style. On tour with Blossoms and Cabbage, the new star will be playing in Birmingham at the end of March. If that doesn’t meet your schedule, make sure to check him out at one of the numerous festivals he’ll be covering this season.

Music contributor from Los Angeles. PhD in Music Festivals and Identity. (@kyliemccormick)

18th April 2017 at 9:37 am