GradBall 2018: Your Guide to the Lineup | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

GradBall 2018: Your Guide to the Lineup

Redbrick Music talks you through the newly-announced acts you need to be excited about for this year's University of Birmingham Gradball, set to be the biggest party of the year

GradBall is back, and better than ever. Tradition serves that the lineup is somewhat mediocre, with names such as Sigala, Sigala and Sigala having topped the bill in previous years. But this year the Guild of Students is offering up live music as well as DJs, to present a lineup that is sure to be one to boast about.

...a quirky pop star that offers a mix between the likes of Lana Del Ray and Zara Larson

First up on June 7th will be Folly Rae, a quirky pop star that offers a mix between the likes of Lana Del Ray and Zara Larson. Folly Rae is relatively new to the scene, but already has the backing of the BBC, securing her a place at Glastonbury 2017 on their Introducing stage. Whilst her Lana vibes are seen most prominently in debut single ‘u’, her more recent work combines upbeat catchy pop melodies with a more electronic-sounding backing. With her set starting at 8.30, this should be perfect against the backdrop of the summer evening.

...they are the group you want to be listening to if you’re craving a more relaxed style of dance music

Following on from this are the Gentlemen’s Dub Club, a reggae-electronic collective that have made a name for themselves on the UK festival circuit. Make no mistake, they are the group you want to be listening to if you’re craving a more relaxed style of dance music. With 9 members, the collective offer up quite the performance – this is one to get really excited about. Their most well-known hits include ‘Fire’, ‘High Grade’ or ‘Dancing In The Breeze’, from their latest album Dubtopia. This is definitely one of the best acts to have ever graced the university.

If you are heading to the afterparty, this will be perfect for getting you into the mood...

Next up on the bill is none other than DnB legend Wilkinson. His most notorious song ‘Afterglow’ is sure to provide some good old 2013 nostalgia. Wilkinson is the perfect act for seeing celebrations well into the evening, offering some heavier (but don’t fret, delicate types - nothing too heavy) beats. If you are heading to the afterparty, this will be perfect for getting you into the mood. Even if you’re not, this is definitely not something you’re going to want to miss.

...promises to get you feeling in the mood for those final few drinks as they take you into the hazy part of the night

Last but not least, set to bring GradBall to the end are DJ Luck and MC Neat, whose single ‘With A Little Bit of Luck’ is now an iconic garage tune played by DJs all over the UK. The duo’s distinctive vibe of chilled and slower beats, mixed with the incredibly fast MCing from Neat as well as their distinctive garage sounds, promises to get you feeling in the mood for those final few drinks as they take you into the hazy part of the night. Although the duo has been relatively quiet since 2000, their latest work in ‘Listen Up’, released last year, shows the pair are not out of touch with the current scene.

Tickets are still available for GradBall 2018 from the Guild of Students website.

4th May 2018 at 3:00 pm