Live Review: 1000th UPRAWR | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: 1000th UPRAWR

Anna Pitts is blown away by the spectacular celebrations of alternative club night UPRAWR's 1000th event

UPRAWR has become a staple of the alternative culture in Birmingham, where so many other clubs and gig venues around the UK have had to close in recent years, UPRAWR has not only remained but thrived while building a loyal clientele. Moreover, over seven years UPRAWR has a host of other impressive achievements: weekly events in seven cities, organising pre and after parties for over 10 festivals (including Slam Dunk and Download festivals) as well as working with every other major rock night in the UK.

Birmingham is the birth place of heavy metal, and so many rock icons over the years have passed through the city. UPRAWR is the latest legend to be added to the list

This night met the usual UPRAWR high standard for partying, with the added bonus of being a celebration of all that the team and their supporters have achieved over their 1000 events. This was marked by being the only night of the year where the party carried on until 6am in the whole building, with the organisers having a number of surprises and competitions in store for attendees.

UPRAWR gives you the option of having a party and being able to dance, but to the rock and pop punk that you actually enjoy. The main room was commanded by the resident UPRAWR DJs, with the music itself varying from keeping you up to date with the latest alternative tracks to the hits that you know, love and couldn't help but sing at the top of your lungs. Also, that night there was a special upstairs room called UPROAR OG which gave you a choice of going back to the music that the club started off with 7 years ago, with the return of the original resident DJs Dean Owen & Leon Armstrong. All the UPRAWR DJs know their audience well and they cover such a variety of genres that they deserve praise for their ability to weave a narrative and connection through such a breadth of songs - so that there honestly is something for everyone.

On top of this, the organisers put on a brilliant show with a number of fantastic prizes for attendees which just added an extra level of fun and intrigue; ranging from: Modern Electric Tattoo giving away days of free tattooing time, after care kits from H2Ocean, Dermalize and weekend passes to The London Tattoo Convention, plus loads of UPRAWR merchandise and even Reading and Leeds Festival tickets.

This brilliant sense of inclusivity that UPRAWR achieve so well is vital in allowing alternative culture to continue and take new, younger enthusiasts under its wing

I think the main thing that makes UPRAWR so unique as a nightclub is that people not only go for the music but for the genuine sense of community that you can connect with. This is made even more striking when you compare it to more mainstream venues which all offer a similar mix of top 40 pop and follow the same old format surrounding (usually overpriced) drinking culture - though in fairness to UPRAWR, they can boast of some of the cheapest drink prices I’ve experienced as a student in Birmingham. This brilliant sense of inclusivity that UPRAWR achieve so well is vital in allowing alternative culture to continue and take new, younger enthusiasts under its wing.

Overall the night was very well organised and it was obvious that the organisers wanted the people attending to be at the heart of the celebration. This was even evident when buying tickets for the night, as you had the option to buy a reasonably priced (only £15 including ticket) limited edition 1000th UPRAWR hoodie which the venue produced - purely because the organisers wanted to make sure everyone was a part of this important night and could say, 'I was there.'

Birmingham is classed by many to be the birth place of heavy metal, and so many rock icons over the years have passed through the city. In my opinion, UPRAWR is the latest rock legend to be added to the list - for not only their commitment to the genre, but to the dedicated fans who support it with them.

Tickets for upcoming UPRAWR events are available at https://totaluprawr.com/clubs/uprawr-birmingham

Third Year Biological Sciences Student. Writer for Redbrick music, film, science and technology. (@pitts_anna)

10th July 2017 at 11:00 am

10th July 2017 at 2:03 pm

Ali Horton