Live Review: Bongo's Bingo | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Bongo’s Bingo

The latest instalment of club night sensation Bongo's Bingo is as rowdy and eccentric as ever, says Sorcha Hornett.

This wasn’t my first time at Bongo’s this semester. I had never been previously but managed to secure tickets for one of the earlier events in October. I had such an incredible time, and when asked to review the event, I couldn’t turn it down.

It couldn’t be further from a stereotypical game of bingo – everyone is inebriated and it’s clear everyone is also having fun
The concept for this event is unlike any other. I hear the word bingo and I think of my grandmother sat in her bingo hall with all her friends, eagerly concentrating on the game. Bongo’s Bingo couldn’t be further from a regular game of bingo. The event starts at 8pm, and due to experiencing the seriously expensive drinks prices last time, my friends and I decided to pre-drink - basically, you’re starting early. It couldn’t be further from a stereotypical game of bingo – everyone is inebriated and it’s clear everyone is also having fun. You wouldn’t catch my grandmother dancing on benches and running up to the front of the stage to claim her seven bottles of Lambrini from a man dressed as a cheerleader (well, I hope not).

Crane is the perfect venue for the event; the atmosphere was electric from the sheer amount of people that showed up. It was packed due to tickets selling out nearly a week before the event, and it was clear people had been looking forward to this for a while. The DJ/bingo caller provided a crowd-pleasing soundtrack, complete with Irish classics whenever the number 33 was called - which was my personal favourite. As the cash prizes increased you could tell people were getting rowdier as they became more inebriated.

It gave bingo a whole new meaning for me and is an event you are guaranteed a good time at
Despite the consequence of a wrong winning call being a crowd-wide booing, people were still getting wilder – unfortunately, to a point where the people beside us started falling off their benches onto us. They proceeded to do this three times and knocked over all our drinks – yet, with one chat to security they were thrown out straight away, which completely saved the night. The staff handled the situation incredibly well and were an absolute credit to the venue and event.

Despite the incident with the people next to us and the crazy drink prices, the evening was incredible. The atmosphere was electric, and I cannot emphasise how much fun it was; it gave bingo a whole new meaning for me and is an event you are guaranteed a good time at.

To keep up with Bongo's Bingo events in Birmingham and elsewhere, visit the website. Further information on events at The Rainbow Venues can be found here.

second year english lit student that drinks a lot of coffee and thinks she can write. (@sorchahornettxo)

Manchester Evening News