Live Review: Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes

Life & Style editor Maddie Bourne wins the exclusive chance to attend Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes' Birmingham gig, and even meet the frontman backstage

Anyone that knows Frank Carter knows that he is a bit of a nutter. Famous for his electric stage presence, eclectic costumes and ‘I’ll say what I want and do what I want’ psyche, there’s no holding back with Carter. Last Saturday evening, I witnessed The Rattlesnakes utterly uncensored- and it was genuinely the most insane, crazy, hilariously nuts evening I have ever had. A word of warning: this review involves Frank Carter doing a headstand whilst crowd surfing, and jumping from the freakin’ balcony down into the mosh pit below. If you’re particularly pedantic about health and safety, I’d recommend not reading much further. But if you want to understand just how much of an absolute musical legend Carter is, keep on reading. He’s just flipping great. 

This review involves Frank Carter doing a headstand whilst crowd surfing, and jumping from the freakin’ balcony down into the mosh pit below. If you’re particularly pedantic about health and safety, I’d recommend not reading much further

As an avid Rattlesnakes fan, I had what I thought was a pretty clear idea of just how exhilarating the gig was going to be, but absolutely nothing fully prepares you for seeing the punk band live. Frank Carter wants his shows to be a fully immersive experience, and on this tour fans can become fully immersed in the Rattlesnakes’ world before security has even opened the doors to the venue. The band has teamed up with Sailor Jerry, the legendary American tattooist who was the father of the classic style of ‘Sailor Jerry’ tattoos (such as swallows, skulls and anchors) and whose family have now curated the classic Sailor Jerry rum that bears his signature. And, due to this partnership with The Rattlesnakes’ winter tour, fans can enter an exclusive competition on Sailor Jerry’s Facebook page in order to win a backstage access, open all areas, meet and greet with freakin’ Frank Carter. 

But where the real magic happens is onstage. The excitement from the crowd was palpable while awaiting The Rattlesnakes. A colourful, aggressively electric and vigorously powerful showman, the audience went nuts for Frank Carter. And Frank Carter went nuts for us. Instead of the mosh pit being in the middle of the crowd like at most gigs, everyone, whether old or young, crazy or slightly tamer, went mental. And Frank didn’t survey his handiwork from up high on the stage, he leapt into the audience after the second song, did a headstand on the audience mid crowd surf and lost his microphone in the process. Later on, he leapt back into the crowd, clambered over the audience and jumped, poised like a tiger ready for the pounce, onto the balcony ledge.

Frank thanked us from the bottom of his heart, and the audience thanked Frank, expressed sheer gratitude for the most insane evening of our lives
He then crawled around the balcony mid-song and when he was finished, leapt from the insane height into the sea of moshing below. Security might not have been happy about this impromptu madman stunt, because the man is literally a health and safety nightmare, but he is an utter legend. The Rattlesnakes’ lead guitarist took inspiration from the frontman later on in the evening, when he literally crowd surfed whilst playing the guitar. It was a fully immersive show, with surprise after surprise and an agenda to get the audience as riled up as possible. And boy, did they succeed.

As the audience sang Frank’s hilariously explicit song, ‘I Hate You’, back at the frontman at the end of the gig, it was clear that what The Rattlesnakes create live is something legendary and incredibly special. An electric atmosphere like none other, Frank thanked us from the bottom of his heart for keeping him going, a man that has struggled through incredible highs and some unthinkable, unfathomable lows. And the audience thanked Frank, expressed sheer gratitude for the most insane evening of our lives. All washed down with a complimentary cup of Sailor Jerry’s, of course. Or two.

To be in with a chance of winning the incredible, exclusive, backstage meet-and-greet package The Rattlesnakes and Sailor Jerry are offering, check out the Sailor Jerry Facebook page for all the details on how to enter.

English & Creative Writing student | Writer for Redbrick & The Tab | Host of The Request Show at BurnFM | Absolutely awful at writing remotely interesting bios (@maddiemae_xo)